Author Topic: What is the best way to find Scottish ancestors?  (Read 5428 times)

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
  • Who will tell your story when you're gone?
    • View Profile
What is the best way to find Scottish ancestors?
« on: Saturday 21 June 14 14:32 BST (UK) »
This is for my partner. His grandad  died down here (Manchester) in 1996, he was born in Fife in 1924.

That is all i know, sadly my FIL doesnt know his dads parents or aunties or uncles (i think there was a reason he didnt speak about them im not sure), so all we have is that he knows he was born in Kirkcaldy.

Im not sure where to start with it or how to obtain his birth certificate with such little information, is there anything online i can find him on, can any sites be recommended?

Also, once i have found him and hopefully start going down the line, are census records available as normal just with a fee.

The sur name is Wilson which i have heard is a pretty common name around Scotland :)

Thankyou in advance :)
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best way to find Scottish ancestors?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 June 14 14:35 BST (UK) »
The best place to research Scottish ancestors is www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
You have to buy credits, but it has full record collections and you can access the actual images online.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 June 14 14:39 BST (UK) »
Just to give you an indication of what to expect, searching on male Wilson births in Fife in 1924 gives about 40 results, so it should be fairly easy for you to find him when you have his first name too.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 June 14 15:01 BST (UK) »
Thankyou i shall try that site :)
Sorry his name is Joseph Wilson and we have a DOB of 16th June 1924 (im not sure where that date came from though as its been noted down for a while on my tree), but apart from that we have nothing else on the family.
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 June 14 15:14 BST (UK) »
Deinitely worth a closer look. They have two Joseph Wilsons born in Fife in 1924. One is from about 10 miles from Kirkaldy.

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 June 14 15:34 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Craclyn :)
Can i ask you where that info is from, is it also www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk or have you used something else?
I think ill but some credits next week,this is the only side not started :)
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 June 14 15:46 BST (UK) »
Yes it is from scotlandspeople. For 1924 records you can see the index for 1 credit but you have to order the detailed record. Once you get further back you can actually pull up the image of the record online for 5 credits.

You can buy 30 credits for 7 pounds which should be enough to get you started and give you a feel for what you can get out of the site.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 June 14 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi lalibelaboop

Joseph Wilson is not an uncommon name to research  :-\ You likely to have to take it a stage at a time...

I can't see a 1996 death for a Joseph born in 1924 but there is this death registration that might be his:

Joseph Wilson born on 16 Jun 1925 and died in Salford Lancashire in April 1996. Ref. TA44/0111A/91. Maybe this is the source of his place of birth (if the correct entry)?

What does your partner know about his grandfather Joseph? Did he marry in Scotland or England? Confirmation of at least his father's surname from a possible English marriage cert or full parents' names from a Scottish marriage cert. would let you confirm you are on the right track for him.

Specially for common names, you have to take care you are following the right line as much as you can...otherwise, it can be an expensive research.

Monica  :)

Added: Where was your FIL born? Scotland or England?
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 June 14 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi MonicaL :)

Yes that is him, he married my father in laws mother in Salford, he travelled from Scotland to here for work and i think he was in the army for a short while but i cant find anything, this is just what i have been told, and he was very Scottish with his accent. I completely forgot about marriage certs that they will have parents names on them, would the parents names still be on even if they were not around do you know?

Thankyou for your help!!
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe