Author Topic: Godson/Hartnett  (Read 4923 times)

Offline Spanrz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Godson/Hartnett
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 August 13 04:56 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your reply.Would Catherine Godson be the aunt of Richard Godson?[b.1829].

Good question, I don't know unfortunately. Though I have a feeling the family/families did a lot of "hands-on" trades type work.
The son of Godson / Fitzgerald became what is apparently a "wheel wright" (maker of wheels).
There is a feeling that I am getting, that the families may have been something to do with a Brewery in Cork somewhere. I have no 100% proof yet, but there is circumstantial documents showing links to being a "Cooper" and Beer Merchants sometime in the early 1800's. The Godson / Fitzgerald link is showing the parents of the Fitzgerald side (Catherine's Mother-In-Law), was a Fitton, who I believe were of a Brewery / Coopers as well. Still no proof, just circumstantial at the moment.
If they are of this trade, and this pans out to being of fact, I believe a Brewery they worked at, was sold off or merged with another Brewery (I am looking at the one on Fitton St, Cork). If they were Cooper's of this Brewery, they were out of a job. The closest thought that I can come up with, is that a Cooper out of a job, evolved into a Wheel Wright, as the job is very similar to each other.
Again, if this proves true, it could explain why Godson / Fitzgerald disappeared to England sometime in the mid 1800's and my link came to Australia (the son).
The reason I'm interested in the posts here, is to see if any of the people you have in your tree, were Cooper's, Wheel Wrights or Tradie's? I did see a mention of a Coppersmith, did they work for a Brewery?
Researching :
Maternal - Hasler (Parliament + Photographers) - mid 1700's+, Galway City & Dublin
Paternal - Fitzgerald - mid 1700's+, Cork City
Maternal - MacNevin (Solicitor's) - mid 1700's+, Dublin
Maternal - Newenham (Parliament, Military) - mid 1700's+, Cork & Dublin
Maternal - Persse (Moyode+Roxborough) - mid 1700's+, Galway
Others: Maternal - Blood, Blakeney (Athenry)

Offline corpust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 August 13 13:00 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply.Very interesting info. indeed.I know nothing of the trades the Godsons were in or those of Elizabeth Hartnett`s family.Richard and Elizabeth`s daughter,Ellen[b.1869/70] married Charles Jenkins in 1891 and from then on the family name remained that of Jenkins.I can`t find any Coopers/Fitzgerald.It is possible that your ancestor who went to Australia was a cousin of Richard Godson,but it`s not certain.It would be nice to find out they were related.Where did your ancestor settle in Oz and what did he do?

Offline Spanrz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 January 14 11:47 GMT (UK) »
I believe now, more than likely, I have established this line. Your Richard was I think a Nephew to my Catherine. There is a Thomas Godson who was born 1788 (Rathcormac) and died in 1866.
Catherine was an elder sister to Thomas, by 7 years (if I have it right??)
But I have no information (yet) to marriages nor children, from other siblings of Catherine.
I have had to go on good educated guesses, that most of the Godson / Fitzgerald's were around Mallow / Rathcormac districts. For some reason, they moved closer to Cork City.

If you find a trail of movement and they were of Catholic denomination, they may have lost their lands to the "Protestant Ascendancy" as Catholics were 2nd or 3rd class citizens back then.

I have movement around the 1840 to Australia, but that was at the height of the Catholic Emancipation era. The Fitzgerald swapped sides, to be Protestant as soon as they got to Australia, which tells me that Cork wasn't a place to live in the 1820's-1840's (Backed up by a book I'm reading)

Researching :
Maternal - Hasler (Parliament + Photographers) - mid 1700's+, Galway City & Dublin
Paternal - Fitzgerald - mid 1700's+, Cork City
Maternal - MacNevin (Solicitor's) - mid 1700's+, Dublin
Maternal - Newenham (Parliament, Military) - mid 1700's+, Cork & Dublin
Maternal - Persse (Moyode+Roxborough) - mid 1700's+, Galway
Others: Maternal - Blood, Blakeney (Athenry)

Offline corpust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 January 14 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your info.Do you know if Thomas Godson[b.1788]is the father of Richard Godson[b.1829]?

Offline melsimba66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 May 14 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hello ,

I also am searching for Godsons , my birth name . I have Thomas , Richard and Johns in my history from the Cork Ireland area , but during the 1832 time they moved to Middlesex , England where the father Nathaniel Godson born abt 1795 Cork ; died in 1840 . he was a Coppersmith . I have not been able to find any thing else past him . I am not sure ifany of yours are related but who knows ?