Author Topic: Farm/Croft of Rusk or Risk, Fordyce  (Read 2633 times)

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Farm/Croft of Rusk or Risk, Fordyce
« on: Sunday 02 November 14 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Walter GRAY & Janet WILSON had eight children between 1783 and 1798 when in Rusk or Risk, Fordyce parish (the spelling changed in 1794). From witnesses to the baptisms, the place seems to be near Breach and Clashendamer on the Birkenbog Estate south of the village of Fordyce, but I've never come across this place name before, anywhere, in any source (including field-by-field surveys of the estate in 1777 and 1793).

Has anyone else come across this place name, and maybe help pinpoint its location?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Farm/Croft of Rusk or Risk, Fordyce
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 November 14 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

The 1841 http://www.freecen.org.uk/ Census transcription has Clashendamur as a street address.
If you use the previous/next household buttons it may give you an idea of the location.

ev

Added -
The 1885 - 1900 1 inch map for Fordyce has Breach and Clashendamer.
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14&lat=57.64628&lon=-2.76319&layers=1
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 November 14 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Sorry , it's Risk or Rusk you're after.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 November 14 13:38 GMT (UK) »
I looked and it is "Risk" and it is not identified on any map from the 18th C through the OS Series.  It is not listed here http://www.abdnet.co.uk/genuki/BAN/Fordyce/locations.html nor in an adjoining Parish.

Problem is there are so many dwellings shown on the maps but not named so it could be any one of them or it was simply renamed or fell into ruin.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline warble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 November 14 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is any help but a Risk or reisk is an old Scots word for a boggy bit of ground covered with rushes. e.g.

"The land callit the Bischopis reysk"; c.1580 - The Church and Churchyard of Fordyce. Cramond, William; Banffshire Journal Office, Banff, 1886.

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 November 14 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks warble, it's a very big help - I believe you've answered my question!

This is because in the 1777 description of Clashendamer, there is "A large tract of pasture ground lying betwixt the Numbers 11 and 17 full of Rushes - 9ac 0r 16f" where 17 (1ac 2r 31f) is an outfield "called Badyshades" and 11 (1ac 2r 8f) is the infield beside "The Old Croft".

And I've now spotted in two undated maps for Slogmahole (next door to Clashendamer), two areas marked as "Risque Pasture" which I had mistook on first reading as "Rough Pasture" (the writing wasn't all that clear). Other areas are described as "Mossy Pasture" and "Wet Pasture" so I conclude "Risque Pasture" is a description of the type of pasture rather than a name, and thus "Risque Pasture" describes an area full-of-rushes - more elegantly than "Rushy Pasture".

I had already made a mental note wondering whether Rusk might be a contraction of "rushes" which then morphed into Risk - not quite right but vaguely on the right lines.

So, it would seem that Walter Gray, as youngest son of six, married (in 1782) and set-to improving the Risque Pasture on Clashendamer where his father was tenant. He obviously made his home there, maybe even reinstating "The Old Croft". He was there until at least 1798. In the 1797 Horse Tax records, he would appear to be the Walter Gray who had one horse taxed at "Bruyach" which must be Breach a few yards away which at the time was "Breaoch" tenanted by "Sundrys" rather than being the full-blown farm it became later.

In those days, Clashendamer was much bigger than now, embracing today's Viewfield and Berryleys (then called "The Bervey Leys" I suspect) and it's not possible to reconcile the various maps and descriptions to pinpoint the field names on the maps, but even so that's a substantial amount of inference made from scant evidence.

Thanks again, 'warble'!

Offline warble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 November 14 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Looks like a good bit of detective work!