Author Topic: Seeking help establishing a family relationship (via marriage record)  (Read 3117 times)

Offline floppyslater

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking help establishing a family relationship (via marriage record)
« on: Thursday 30 May 13 13:27 BST (UK) »
I am seeking help identifying the relationship between the bride, Mary Devlin, and Witness #2 - Ellen Devlin.  Ellen Devlin may be a cousin or aunt.  There is not any record indicating that she is Mary's sister.  Mary's mother was Bridget Burk.  This Ellen Devlin is also not Mary's sister-in-law since the wives of her two brothers have been identified.  Both brothers also married a number of years after this wedding.

I know this is a long shot at getting resolved.  This Ellen Devlin simply doesn't show up in any other family records.

Here is the information:

Civil Marriage Record
Date of Marriage: 27 May 1882
Parish/District: Roscrea
County: Tipperary

Husband: Thomas Hurst
Address: Benamore

Wife: Mary Devlin
Address: Birchgrove

Husband's Father: William Hurst
Wife's Father: Peter Devlin

Witness 1: Richard Purcell
Witness 2: Ellen Devlin

Edwd Oleany P.P. (Priest)
Married in Roscrea Church

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking help establishing a family relationship (via marriage record)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 October 13 07:46 BST (UK) »
Hi. Have you had a look to see if there is a marriage for an Ellen Devlin in that era?

Also have a look at the 1901 census (online) to see if there are any Ellen Devlin's around. I would estimate that as a witness Ellen wouldn't have been any younger than say 15/16, so you might search for an Ellen that is mid 30s or older.

Might give you some clues.

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 October 13 10:01 BST (UK) »
On www.rootsireland.ie, there is a Mary Devlin b.1854 in Roscrea (Roman Catholic) with the father being Peter Devlin, but I couldn't find any Ellens...I presume the Ellen is a sister of Mary
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline floppyslater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help - sorry I have been out of the loop for sometime with work.

I do not believe Ellen Devlin was a sister to Mary.  I believe she was either an aunt or cousin.  The Devlins were first generation Roscrea.  The father of Mary, Peter, came down from Ulster (probably County Down - perhaps Banbridge or Belfast - not sure).  This is the only time an Ellen Devlin pops up in any of the records I discovered.  I suspect she may have come down for Mary's wedding from the North but I just don't know.