Author Topic: Chalmers Parish ?  (Read 9995 times)

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Chalmers Parish ?
« on: Monday 20 November 06 06:09 GMT (UK) »

I believe I have located some family members in the Parish of Chalmers - not seen this before - where is it?
     My modern day map of Glasgow gives Chalmers Court , Chalmers Place , Chalmers Gate and Chalmers Street in the centre of Calton.
      Was this once called Chalmers Parish?
       Needing confirmation or otherwise, Regards, Thommoje ??? ???
Hardie ,Hislop ,Beattie , Glass , Heslehurst
Sutherland, Riddell,Bowie, Blair , Reid, McIntosh

Purdie , Brooks, Polson, Morrison, Simpson
Murcher ,McAuslan ,Ferrier, Greig

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Chalmers Parish ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 November 06 13:06 GMT (UK) »
I've not seen Chalmers listed as a parish in its own right for registration purposes - Calton was a registration district itself although many of these were based around churches and named after them.

Just to muddy the waters slightly there is a Chalmers Parish Church in Larkhall

Offline TikTokToo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 November 06 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello thommoje,

This question seems very familiar.
Have a look at the topic raised by 'breac' on this (Lanarkshire) board on 10 July 2006. It suggests that 'Chalmers' did exist but only for 1841 Census.

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 November 06 20:34 GMT (UK) »

Thanks to you both, Falkryn and Tik Tic Too ,this family was centred around Calton for many generations and I was pretty sure that was where it was. Another Parish I have come across for the 1841 census was St James but it also says on the document " Calton Entry".
      As a coincidence, yesterday I recieved a copy of a book about William Collins` book publishing company for whom my Grandfather and a couple of uncles worked. Wm Collins , the first one , had a friend and mentor in Dr Thomas Chalmers - a significant figure in Church and civic life at the time. I wonder if this is where the Parish name comes from.
       Thanks again, Thommoje

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 November 06 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I've just checked the 1841 index and sure enough Chalmers is listed as one of the registration districts Ward 6441 in Glasgow City area -  Calton which was a police burgh in its own right was listed as a registration district within Barony.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 November 06 21:05 GMT (UK) »
If you have a look at
http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/map/early/towns.cfm?id=786

This 1832 map lists the 10 parishes which then made up Glasgow although Chalmers is not listed St James is - it is parish no 10 (X) in the bottom right hand corner of the map which appears to include parts of Glasgow green and the modern day Gorbals area

http://special.lib.gla.ac.uk/exhibns/month/feb2006.html

This 1844 map which accompanies an article about health in the city also lists St James (IX this time) but still no mention of Chalmers.

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Wonderful Can of Worms
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 November 06 21:27 GMT (UK) »

To All Calton , Glasgow Researchers,  I have just'returned" from a wonderful internet journey. Thanks again Tic Toc Too.
      If Glasgow history is what you are after, just go to an entry on the Lanarkshire by  - breac on 10 July 2006  - an read the wonderful chat that took place.
        This will give you leads to a huge range of Glasgow sites that will keep you interested for a long time.
         WARNING ! Make sure the vegies are not boiling on the stove when you begin. A quick look will turn into hours.
         This is Roots Chatting at its best
                                                              Enjoy, Thommoje

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Kingfield Row
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 November 06 21:41 GMT (UK) »
    In amongst all the chat about Chalmers, I must mention that my initial enquiry was prompted by finding Elizabeth Sutherland and son , Robert living in Kingfield Row ( I suspect it was a large block of Flats  which would have been demolished by town planners as they were undesirable housing)
     Elizabeth and Robert appear ( the writing is poor ) on page 13 of the record and page 14 is still Kingfield Row. As one of the chatters said, 722 people lived here.
                                                             Thommoje

Moderator Comment : Separate threads merged

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 November 06 22:30 GMT (UK) »
During the 50 years prior to 1821 Glasgow's population trebled to over 120,000 and the influx continued as the city continued to build up its industrial base

From The Glasgow Story http://www.theglasgowstory.co.uk/storyc.php

By the 1820s and 1830s there was already comment on the difficulties being experienced in coping with the very rapid growth of population. What were once elegant squares were getting built up. What were once mansions for a single family were being made down to house a dozen or more. By the 1840s some of the city's housing conditions were regarded as among the worst in Europe. Overcrowding and a highly mobile population made the city vulnerable to epidemics. Cholera came in lethal waves. Typhus and typhoid struck with depressing regularity in foul housing "backlands" or in dingy lodging houses. Polluted water supplies, a smog-laden atmosphere and a lack of sunlight were ripe conditions for chronic illnesses as well as epidemics.