Author Topic: Glassford OPR Burial Records/MIs  (Read 25017 times)

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Glassford OPR Burial Records/MIs
« on: Tuesday 17 June 08 14:21 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have Glassford burial records or MIs? What are the local cemeteries?

I'm looking for the death of Gavin Paterson (or any Patersons in Glassford) and would be most grateful for any assistance.

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Glassford OPR Burial Records/MIs
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 14:49 BST (UK) »
Glassford OPR burial records were collected from 1733 to 1807, so it depends when your relative died I'm afraid.

I believe there is a graveyard in Glassford, but I don't think it's as old as the dates you are looking for. I would suggest the cemetery at Strathaven. OPR burial records were from 1770 to 1791, and again from 1817 to 1854.

hume24 :)

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Hume

Thanks so much for your reply. Where would a Glassford resident have been buried in the 17th and 18th centuries? Were the major cemeteries in Strathaven and Avondale?

Cheers,

Linda 

Offline wonoona

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Rodeo & Hume

I have looked up the Avondale Death Records and have found these Paterson's which are connected to a Gaven Paterson! 

Andrew Paterson  Abode (Chapelton) died 13 April 1833 Son of Gaven Paterson. Interred in the 1.
Janet Paterson Abode (Chapelton) died 26 June 1844 Daughter of Gaven Paterson Interred in the 1.

There is also an Agnes Paterson which died 15 July 1853 widow of Gaven Hamilton, Late Surgeon, Interred in the 3 Breadth.

Referring to Mortcloths

We have

Aug/Dec 1760 For Gavin Paterson in Netherfd. dyke.     6 Shillings and eightpence

These are the only entries with Gaven attached.  There are a great many Patersons which I am sure are connected!

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

Yvonne
McDonald  Glasgow-Dunbarton.  McCallum- Dunbarton.  Gilchrist- Glasgow. Dickie  Ayrshire- Glasgow. Potts, Jardine - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Brierley  Fylde-Rochdale. Eaves - Fylde. Bamford - Rochdale. Irvine - Fylde. Douglas, Whyte - Argyllshire.

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 21:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you for those, Yvonne. I'm sure Rodeo will be pleased! :)

Netherfield Dyke is on the road from Strathaven to Glassford, so it would be very possible for Gavin to be brought to Strathaven for burial.

hume24

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 23:07 BST (UK) »
From SLC website

Glassford Cemetery
This cemetery opened in 1878 and was built around the old church which sadly only partially remains. Over the years several extensions have been added which continue to provide lairs for future generations. Within this area there is a link to the covenanting trail.

Strathaven Cemetery
The cemetery opened in 1659 although legend has it that it has been a burial ground for over 900 years. Four distinct sections make up the cemetery and room is available for new lairs. The cemetery has links with covenanting and interred within the old section is James 'Pearly' Wilson.

Chapelton Cemetery
This cemetery opened in 1866. It was adjacent to the old church which was subsequently demolished and replaced in the 1900s by a new one which was built in the village. Several headstones date back to the late 1700s. The cemetery has new lairs available and will continue to provide for future generations

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 00:29 BST (UK) »
The churchyard of Glassford (The Glessart as it's known locally) is an ancient one. There are around 150 legable inscriptions in this burial ground, many pre 1855. (The new cemetery is an extension). There are people buried there from Quarter, West Quarter, Chapelton, Strathaven and various other local places. If a resident of Glassford died there in the 17th and 18th centuries he/she would have been buried in this churchyard unless there was a family plot elsewhere.
The earliest Paterson inscription dates from 1706 but no Gavins, sorry. There is a large monument to William Gordon of Earlston in Galloway who was "shot by a partie of Dragoons on his way to Bothwell Bridge 22nd June 1679 aged 65 years".
Local families buried there include - Allan, Ballantyne,  Hamilton (largest amount) Park, Paterson, Robertson, Semple, Shearer, Watson and Wilson.

Lodger.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 00:37 BST (UK) »
It seems I'm in the wrong then, Lodger! :-[ I didn't know of the older churchyard you mention.

Apologies to Rodeo.

hume24 :)

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 01:32 BST (UK) »
A couple of photographs of Glassford kirkyard, taken on a brisk autumn day 3 years ago.

Lodger.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.