Author Topic: Glassford OPR Burial Records/MIs  (Read 25105 times)

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Glassford OPR Burial Records/MIs
« Reply #18 on: Monday 16 February 09 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Can't match up those particular names to any MI in Glassford but I feel sure some of the Allans are yours!
Very briefly -

MI 21 is for Robert Allan, mason, accidently killed at Hamilton 1877 aged 69. His wife Isabella Hopkins died Canada 1900. Lots of children mentioned. Robert's youngest brother Andrew died Glasgow 1850 aged 36.  Robert's eldest son, Robert, died Cambuslang 1914.

MI 22 Robert Allan, farmer in Heads erected this stone 1829.

MI 27 is for family of Patersons. Margaret Paterson died 1872 aged 50, wife of Robert Allan.

MI 29 is for Robert Allan who died 1907 aged 70, his wife Janet Coats Murdoch died 1894 aged 42. Their only son, Robert Hamilton died 1894 aged 6.
(Hamilton would have been his middle name, so probably named after grandfather or gt-g/father)

MI 200 (in the new cemetery) Isabella Hopkins Allan died 1936 aged 55. Her sister Jessie Allan died 1942 aged 65. Her brother Hugh died 1946 aged 63. Her brother Robert died 1948 aged 69.

MI 206 (new cemetery) Stephan Allan died 1945 aged 77, his wife Euphimia Rawson Stewart died 1943 aged 75.

Hope this helps a little.

Lodger

Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Elmca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 16 February 09 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, thanks for your quick reply.  I am also sure some of the Allans/Hamiltons have to be related but the trouble is finding out how or where they are related as I'm sure you know how difficult it can be to get information before the 1850's regarding births and deaths.  I can't lay my hands on my bits of paper with all the info on it but the names I had for the family were John & isabella (Hamilton) Allan and children Jane, Martha, Thomas and a Marion.  I've had so much trouble locating them - Jane was my ggggrandmother so she has been a bit easier.  She had an illegitimate daughter in 1861 and I would also like to find out if church records exist from then which may mention her father.  It's a while since i done much work on this (due to arrival of new puppy!) and it's amazing how much more info is becoming available quicker than it did when i started this 9 years ago!  I did a quick search on familysearch last night and found out that Isabella Hamiltons parents (Thomas Hamilton & Martha Struthers) were married in 1805 in East Kilbride so perhaps that's where Martha came from .  Isabella was born in Strathven 1808 - I was so pleased to come across that info!  Thanks for your help  ;)   
Young (Midlothian/Berwickshire/Fife)
Gibb (Ayrshire/Lanarkshire)
McCulloch (Ireland/Lanarkshire)
Affleck (Ireland/Midlothian)
McFadzean/McFadyen (Ireland/Ayrshire)
Sommerville (Ayrshire/Motherwell)

Offline MoragC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 13 July 09 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Elmca,

I too have Allan forebears (twice over) from the Avondale/ Glassford/Chapelton areas and am wondering if we have any overlap. Firstly. my g-g-grandfather was James Allan, a stonemason born in Avondale about 1819. He married a Catherine Dow from Chapelton after he moved to Glasgow, where he had a building business in Gallowgate until his early death in 1865.
Interestingly, Catherine Dow's mother was also an Allan - first name Isabella. Her parents were William Allan and Catherine Tudhope. In the 1841 Census, there is a John Allan staying with them - and he is a stone mason. he is aged 25. The address is Srtuthers Street, Middle Calton and the householder is Catherine's father James Dow.

Offline Elmca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hello and thank you for your interesting message!
I wil dig out my notes and have a look at my Allan stuff as wouldn't it be great if there was a link!!!  I have so little info on my Allans beyond John Allan and wife Isabella.  My ggg grandmother Jane seems to have had a brother Thomas and a sister Martha (this is off the top of my head!) do these names ring any bells?  I will get back to you asap!  Elaine  ;) 

Offline MoragC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Elmca,

This gets interesting. I don't have a great deal of additional information, but, like you, suspect that John Allan is Isabella Dow's brother. I have traced her death record and she is the daughter of William Allan (farm labourer) and his wife Catherine (maiden name Tudhope), If you have John's death record, we could maybe comfirm the link

James Allan, who married Catherine Dow was the son of James Allan, a farmer from Avondale and his wife Isabella (maiden surname Boyce). I haven't been able to find any birth records for any of their children, so don't know yet if the two sets of Allans are related. I don't even have a farm name for James Allan, as that might have helped.

Another interesting fact - after James Allan died Catherine remarried a Mr Gibb (Robert from memory) - also a builder. Where were your Gibbs from? I think he was from Lanarkshire as well.

I haven't worked out how to send you a private message, as I could add a bit more about later generations. Give me a tip - or email me at (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 11:49 BST (UK) »
I have a Margaret Paterson married to William Stark in Strathaven/ Glassford area.

I have many ancestors from there too, surnames Ramsay, Struthers,  Millar, Scott & Brown.
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)

Offline MoragC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 16 July 09 22:39 BST (UK) »
 Hi Davieboy,

I reckon there was a lot of intermarriage in the Avondale and Glassford parish areas. I have Dow, Frame and Allan ancestry in the area - and the brother of one of my Dow ancestors married a Struthers.
   Can you or anyone else give me any tips on where to go next? Most of my Allans don't appear in the parish registers. I see references to Mortcloth records in previous postings - where would I get access to these?
  Elmca and I are still trying to link our Allan lines - but I can't even find a birth record for my great-great-grandfather. He died in Glasgow after 1855, so I know he is the son of James Allan (farmer) and Isabella Allan (maiden name Boyce). Their son James was born about 1819 in Avondale- but I can't trace any siblings either.
  My other Allan link is James's mother-in-law Isabella Dow - daughter of William Allan (agricultural labourer) and Catherine Tudhope from Glassford. Are any of these names familiar to anyone?

Offline Elmca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 16 July 09 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Morag
did you work out how to send a private message? click on the name you want to send a PM to and take it from there.
Did I say that I also have Struthers in my family?
John Allan's wife was Isabella Hamilton - her mother was Martha Struthers, who married Thomas Hamilton, a farmer.  I can't remember if I have already checked up on where they originated from and it is too late now and I am too tired to think!!!!   ;)  speak soon!

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 19 July 09 21:54 BST (UK) »
Morag,

I too have relations that married people called Allan & Frame, but none with the christian names that you have.

I also have many Struthers in my tree. Struthers is an extremely common name in that part of Lanarkshire. I also have Struthers marrying Struthers, (they were cousins so I guess thats where I got my extra thumb from) ;D

sorry I can't help any further
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)