Author Topic: Daniel Polson - born Barony parish, Glasgow in 1795  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
Daniel Polson - born Barony parish, Glasgow in 1795
« on: Tuesday 09 December 14 23:29 GMT (UK) »
I would be grateful for any information regarding the birth and possibly marriage (to a Mary) of Daniel Polson. The parish and year were obtained from British Army Service Records 1760-1915, which show that he spent most of his life in India. He died there at the age of 45 in 1840.

Thank you, Didy.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Polson - born Barony parish, Glasgow in 1795
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Didy,

Banoway, Barony...wondering whether you can download his papers here from the National Archives (sounds like the same man I think/hope!) http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8757272

Monica  :)

Added: apologies, this is all from a link to FindMyPast. You likely have this already from what you mention  :-\
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Can't see a reference to a Mary for a wife to a Daniel Polson in India in this period on Family Search's index, just an Ann or a Hannah (maybe same name with variants?) from c. 1818-1838.

Is this the same Daniel:

Serjeant Daniel Polson, from Glasgow, joined the Regiment in 1813 and within a year had risen to Serjeant. He had served in the Holland campaign of 1814 and seen action at Antwerp and Bergen-op Zoom. In 1824 he transferred to the 44th (East Essex) Foot and served with that regiment in the East Indies, fighting in the Burmese wars. He was twice reduced to Private in his long career but on both occasions was soon restored to Serjeant and was discharged in 1837 (due to a cataract of his left eye) as Drum Major, his discharge papers describing him as “a man of very good character”.
www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Britain/Infantry/c_2-69Waterloo.html

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica. The information I have is from FindMyPast, which has a burial for Mary, wife of Drum Major Daniel Polson, in 1838, but no marriage info.

I'm just starting my research on this line, which is literally foreign territory for me. To make it more difficult, Daniel Polson's service record appears to have been scattered amongst other people's records in the same box, and I don't think I have been able to find all of it yet.

The other information you include might fit. I'm not up with all possible sources for that period, so look forward to looking into it a bit further.

Thanks for your help.

Didy