Author Topic: Stonehouse "William Miles" Ironmonger  (Read 2911 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Stonehouse "William Miles" Ironmonger
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 December 14 22:03 GMT (UK) »
sugarbakers, I think you have the right threads there....Now all needs to be confirmed through on official records. How lucky are we that we have SP for that ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nmcasey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 December 14 23:03 GMT (UK) »
To You all
               Thank you for your input. 

I already new who William Miles who died in 1910 father and mother were they were "John Miles"   "Marion Inglis "   I was looking into William Miles who was born abt 1840 family he married Mary Wilson in 1871.

As you have stated I used  familysearch to find further information I was able  locate the birth of
"Marion Inglis Miles 1873"  " John Miles 1875"  "Christina Miles 1882" all born at Stonehouse

So I looked at the census information on familysearch for further information there where three moor children "Mary Miles  abt 1879" "Agnes Miles abt 1884" and "Bella Miles abt 1886" all born at
Stonehouse.

I was unable find any "BIRTH DETAILS" in familysearch other than the Census records.

So as I had "Marion Inglis Miles" full name and birth I went to scotlandspeople and put Marion Inles
in the first name only. I only found one person with first name as Marion Inglis married in 1930's so I purchased the information but could not find any connection.

The information on William Miles and Mary Wilson of Stonehouse and their family is very sparse

Regards
Nc

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 December 14 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It's not at all clear exactly what information you are trying to find as your opening post just says

I am after information on "William Miles" who lived at 12 Kings Street Stonehouse he was a Ironmonger he died in 1910.

You now say you know that William was born 1840 and his parents were John & Marion.

Presumably you have William on the 1841/51/61 censuses with his parents so will have their birthyears and birthplaces. Are you working backwards and trying to determine their ancestry?

If not - can you tell us what information you are looking for
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 December 14 09:10 GMT (UK) »
I was unable find any "BIRTH DETAILS" in familysearch other than the Census records.

No, you wouldn't. FamilySearch does not have this information. As I said above, the IGI (FamilySearch) is an INDEX only. (and a very useful finding aid it is too for the period from 1855 to 1874). However even the census information on FS is only a transcription of the original. The originals contain a lot more information than either the indexes or the transcriptions The only source of original birth, marriage, death and census documents is Scotland's People.

So as I had "Marion Inglis Miles" full name and birth I went to scotlandspeople and put Marion Inles in the first name only. I only found one person with first name as Marion Inglis married in 1930's so I purchased the information but could not find any connection.
Why did you waste credits on a marriage in 1930? If you knew from FamilySearch that Marion was born in 1872, you would have been able to work out that this Marion Inglis was almost 60 years old in 1930, so was unlikely to be the one you are looking for. (She could be a granddaughter of William Miles and Mary Wilson.)

The information on William Miles and Mary Wilson of Stonehouse and their family is very sparse.
Only because you are not looking in the right place, which is www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

From the Scotland's People index, Marion Inglis Miles died in 1947, aged 76. Her death certificate will tell you whether or not she was married, and if so who her husband was; exactly when and where she died, and tha cause of death; the names of her parents and who registered the death.

Mary Wilson or Miles died in 1916, aged 70.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline nmcasey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 December 14 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian
                I went back to scotlandspeople as you suggested.
I got Marion Inglis Miles death notice  it was recorded under Myles and for 1948
and it is the correct one she never married.

Thank you for the help

Regards
Nc