Author Topic: PLEASE HELP - Cecelia MORRELL, ms Cairney/Kearney  (Read 4847 times)

Offline Julz MM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
PLEASE HELP - Cecelia MORRELL, ms Cairney/Kearney
« on: Friday 29 September 06 11:37 BST (UK) »
Anybody, Please help

This lady is now driving a number of people around the world crazy looking for her.

Born about 1790 possibly in Ireland, Cecelia married Francis Morrell, location and date unknown and had 2 children that we know of in different parts of Scotland, Midlothian and Ayrshire. What we do think we know is that about 1870 she lived on the Abercairney estate near Crieff and is possibly buried there. She had died before 1873 but we believe was alive about 1870 when visited by family, so the story goes.
There is no statutory death entry for a Cecelia Morrell (there is one in 1867 but that is her granddaughter), about 1870, also we have tried every connotation of her name, maiden name, first name, age etc and we don't know where to go from here.

Why would there be no death registration? Would any of the local churches have death/burial records that were not registered?
There is a possibility that she may be buried in a vault on the Abercairney estate, but i assume that they would still be under obligation to register the death, so WHERE IS SHE?

Any information, help or ideas much appreciated.

Julia
Dundee

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE HELP - Cecelia MORRELL, ms Cairney/Kearney
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 September 06 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Julia

Have you managed to find Cecilia on any census between 1841 - 71?

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Julz MM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 September 06 15:38 BST (UK) »
Dear Monica

We dont have her on any census, but I will check with the others who may and get back to the post.

Julia

Offline Julz MM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 October 06 11:26 BST (UK) »
Nope, no sign of Cecelia on any census, or her husband Francis Morrell. I may have found one of her sons in 1841, Thomas aged 25 basketmaker, Kelso, born Out of County and possible in the same household as his future wife. (Thomas son was also a basketmaker).
We really don't think Cecelia went back to Ireland and I can't find her in any England census either.
Still at a loss on where to look now.

Julia

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 October 06 12:17 BST (UK) »
Julia

I couldn't find Cecelia in any census (which is why I asked!). My one thought is if husband Francis died young, she may have remarried which is why you can't find her under Morrell (and variants). However, even then, there would be some clues from searching for deaths for a Cecilia Cairney (with variants).........and I can't find one that fits either.

A seach on SP for deaths, anywhere in Scotland, of a C*l* C*rn* with birth years 1790 +/- 10, only brought up  Colins in Crieff and Logie (Perth) and a number of Charlottes elsewhere.

A search for C*rn* any name/female in Perth, brings up a number of entries but nothing to connect to a first name of Cecilia (and variants)

?????

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 October 06 12:20 BST (UK) »
What documents do you have that you make you think she was in Perth and alive and well in late 1860s/ early 70s? Is it from the death cert of her granddaughter, was she visiting her at the time?

Monica

Offline Julz MM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 October 06 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

Its from a family 'story'. Her grand-daughter, Cecilia Morrell, was apparently taken by her father, Thomas Morrell, to visit her grandmother in Crieff about 1867.
She is also down on both her sons death certificates, one in 1873 the other in 1874, as deceased.
Granddaughter Cecelia was born in 1860 in Dundee. I too have searched all ways to find 'the elusive one', but we are coming to complete dead end here. We really don't have any clue where to go from here. Is it possible she was just buried with no record taken? I know it sounds a bit far fetched but could she have been a 'Jane Doe'? I doubt she would have been seeing as though family did visit. I think a letter off the the Abercairney estate office may be in the offing now.
Thanks for your help Monica. If you have any ideas of a totally obscure track on this it would be much appreciated.

Julia

Offline Julz MM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 October 06 13:27 BST (UK) »
Just been checking on the NAS site. In 1890 Charles Stirling Horne Drummond Moray, Esq. of Abercairney filed a motion "For prohibition of burial ground of Crieff known as The Old Churchyard". (NAS ref SC49/7/1890/12 ).
This would have been to either close the churchyard or part of the site closed. Burial vaults are sometimes exempt under certain conditions - possibly a family vault?
Would this mean that the churchyard would then be for exclusive use of the Drummond Morays? Is this burial ground still in existance?

What does 'prohibition of burial ground' mean?

Thanks

Julia

Offline Grey Seagull

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Julia,
Been a while since I've been on rootschat. And quite a while since I looked ot this branch of my family so don't recall the full detail. Found the family in Ayrshire in 41 census. They seem to be one of two seperate families in 41 & 51 census in the whole of Scotland. Son Thomas m Margeret LC Williamson. Son James was my grandmother Cecilia Cairney Morrell's father.

Had a really difficult time finding James's death cert. When wife Martha died 1911, he was noted as dead. In fact, he died in 1913 in Blairgowrie: obviously a 'civil' separation. Interestingly, have never been able to find his brother Francis's death..... though his widow died in Blairgowrie.

Have you tried searching under Cissie? Is it possible she married the guy who owned the burial ground? Is there any evidence that she did not go back to Ireland? New BMD info now available online.  Have you looked yet?

I seem to remember something about my gran seeing a gravestone with her name on it and being told it was the grand lady she had been called after.  Oban was also mentioned at the time but not sure what the connection was.

If you have found anything since your post, would be good to know. The fact that they travelled about quite alot AND the multi-various name spellings have made tracing them quite difficult.

Good luck!

:)
Fleming: Campsie, Glasgow, E Kilbride, Cumbria, Canada/USA, Oz (NSW)
Cant: Kilmichael, Inverness, Resoles, Moray
Stewart: Dingwall, Strathpeffer
Rankin(e): Argyll, Glasgow
Ferrier: Kinnell, Red Castle, Inverkeillor, Glasgow, Greenock
Morrell: Dundee, Oban, Perth, Rothesay
Harris: Glasgow, Dunoon
Hart: Govan
McDonell/McDonald: Knoydart, Kilmonivaig, Inverness, Paisley
(Mc)Niven: Islay, Glasgow
MacDonald: N Uist, Glasgow
MacCorquodale: N Uist
Dear: St Cyrus