Author Topic: STEWART/ROBERTSON  (Read 18483 times)

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: STEWART/ROBERTSON
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 07:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

The site below is worth searching

http://www.borenich.co.uk/Annual%20Births/1718_1739/Births_1718.html

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 19:30 BST (UK) »
Right found him

Donald Robertson , Christening 09 Jul 1786 , BLAIR ATHOLL , PERTH , SCOTLAND
Father Alexr. Robertson , Mother Katharine Campbell.
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 19:45 BST (UK) »
Bingo!  This looks like his parents marriage

Alexr. Robertson marriage:   29 March 1764   Blair Atholl,Perth,Scotland spouse:Katharine Campbell

If so there's a good chance Alexr was born in 1745 to Duncan Robertson and Margaret [not Mcleod but] McLaren.

Alexander Robertson , Christening 4th May 1745 , BLAIR ATHOLL , PERTH , SCOTLAND
Father Duncan Robertson , Mother Margaret Mclaren.
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 August 13 07:24 BST (UK) »
Alexander Robertson and Katharine Campbell were both living (presumably with their parents) at Tullich when they married in 1764 (Blair Atholl OPR).

All of these children were born at Toulich (Tullich): Duncan, 1767; Janet, 1770; James,1771; John,1775; Donald, 1778.  We don't have the records for Alexander (b 1 Apr 1784), nor Donald (b 9 Jul 1786), but they are available on Scotland's People if you want to check.

Alexander's father is almost certain to be Duncan, but probably Alexander was born earlier than 1745, as men tended not to marry until about 30.  Also the parentage location (Monzie, in Glen Fender) is a bit far away. 

We are assuming that the Tullich mentioned is in Glen Errochty and not the one opposite Blair which had only one tenant as far as we know - John Morrison, the Duke of Atholl's shepherd. 

Tullich / Toulich / Tulloch was next to Bochonie (which still exists) on the south side of the river on the road from Struan to Trinafour. 

Hope this helps,

Throth (www.borenich.co.uk)

Offline mothermacree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 August 13 08:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Troth and Fifer1947

Thanks for the information which has been extremely helpful.
Cheers
Mothermacree
Scotland: Stewart/Robertson, Buttars, Goodlet (Dad side) Sinclair, Pitcairn (husb lines)
England: Pepper, Albous, Lambkin, Edwards (Mum and Dad side) Pryor, Ramsbottom, Scorgie (my sons' lines) Turner/Turner-Jones (husb lines)
Ireland: Dawson, Cook, O'Brien, Murphy (Mums side)
Finland: Johnson/Johansson, Worstein (Dad)

Offline eeyore42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm new to RootsChat. Saw this thread when I was searching for info on Rebekah Buttar (she's my  4g grandmother on the Robertson side). I have another son listed to Rebekah and Daniel/Donald -
William b.1823. He is on the passenger list and was 15 at the time of embarkation.

There is also Robert b. about 1821. He may have died in Scotland prior to the family emigrating.

Offline mothermacree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 January 14 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks eeyore42 for contacting me. I am very interested in keeping contact re the Robertson family.  Yes I have a William b 1823 and also a Rober b 1821 in my tree. Rebekah is my 3g grandmother on the Robertson side.  I would be interested to know which one of her children you are descended from please? From my research she had 13 children. During my trip to UK/Scotland in Aug/Sept 2013 I was not able to look for my Robertson connections, time was too short. What else can you tell me?  I have a tree on ancestry, are we able to provide each other with email addresses on here????
Wait to hear from you. Cheers mothermacree
Scotland: Stewart/Robertson, Buttars, Goodlet (Dad side) Sinclair, Pitcairn (husb lines)
England: Pepper, Albous, Lambkin, Edwards (Mum and Dad side) Pryor, Ramsbottom, Scorgie (my sons' lines) Turner/Turner-Jones (husb lines)
Ireland: Dawson, Cook, O'Brien, Murphy (Mums side)
Finland: Johnson/Johansson, Worstein (Dad)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 30 January 14 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

You can use the Personal Message(PM) system to exchange private information.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

If eeyore42 replies to this post that should allow them access to the PM system.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 January 14 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mothermacree,  Sorry that you didn't have time to visit your Robertson ancestors at Tulloch of Glen Errochty.  Fancy a virtual visit?

Firstly we need to get you on the map.  The following link will put you through to the on-line maps at the National Library of Scotland (NLS)

http://geo.nls.uk/search/mosaic/#zoom=6&lat=56.71138&lon=-4.9&layers=000B0000000

Now you need to 'Select a map group' - the box is on the left hand side.

Pull down to select 'OS Six Inch 1843-1882'

This is first edition of Ordnance Survey for the area and a really good scale, but next we need your location site.

Top left is a box to enter a National Grid Reference (NGR).  Tulloch is 'NN77526352'

If you hit your return key, you should be there.   Bochonie should be to the east and Kinaldy to the north.

Now for the clever bit - top right there is a box to alter your view called 'background'.  Drag it down to 'Bing Aerial'. Nothing will happen until you more the 'volume bar' top middle.  It moves left and right and moderates a transition between the OS map and aerial photograph view taken about 6 months ago.

You should be able to see the actual ruins of Tulloch in front of the forestry plantation.

Have fun and get back to us if you get stuck.

Throth (www.borenich.co.uk)

P.S. This is a really useful tool.  We can check whether ruins still exist before spending hours climbing hillsides, only to find that the ruins are no longer there.