Author Topic: COMPLETED....................BDM Lookups pls COULTER / CRAWFORD / STEVENSON etc.  (Read 7967 times)

Offline allycat

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The Cantwell Knights of Strongbow 1170
    • View Profile
Hello Rootschatters.  Not sure if I have put this posting in the right place, but here goes.  NB I do not have any bdm certs to back up this information, only family notations from my now late mother-in-law (b1936NZ-d2008OZ).  Some information has been gleaned from rootsweb.

Looking for marriage of William COULTER (1873 occupation is listed as Farmer says another family researcher) and Mary Moore CRAWFORD.

I know they had a son Robert John COULTER (occ Coal Miner) who our family thought was born in either Belfast or Dublin, Ireland but I am positive he born Scotland because he first married 15 Jul 1870 Rutherglen, Lanark, Scotland to Martha WILSON and it seems that she died in childbirth or soon thereafter with daughter Mary Moore WILSON born 20 Jan 1873 Kilwinning, Ayr and she herself also died later on in January.

Robert COULTER then married 31 Mar 1873 Ayr, Irvine Dist. Free Church of Scotland Jessie Kor STEVENSON born 1843 Ayr, Irvine died 12 Mar 1922 Stirling, Falkirk, Glenochiel, Scotland, daughter of David STEVENSON and Jane(t) STRACHAN who had married 28 Aug 1829 St. Quivox.

Robert COULTER died 1879 Holytown, Scotland of heart disease.  Somebody must have his death cert.

Robert COULTER & Jessie Kor STEVENSON had three children, and it was the eldest daughter Mary Jane COULTER born 1875 Glasgow that emigrated to New Zealand and married into the EADIE clan.  They had 13 children, some still living but of a great age.  Their 9th child Martha COULTER was my late mother in law's Mum.

Two years after Robert COULTER dies, Jessie then marries again 20 Nov 1881 Old Monklands, Coatbridge, Whifflets, St. Mary's Rc Church, Scotland Wililam BARCLAY and they had a daughter Mary.

I know this is rather long-winded, but can anyone help me by providing real bdm references/registration numbers to give my family tree a legitimate feel?

Thanks in advance,
Alison
from Queensland, Australia.
Abrams, Amor, Attwood, Bancroft, Bragier, Brennan, Bryant, Buchan, Cantwell, Cruse, Commins, Cullum, Debus, Denner, Dinner, DuCroix, Flanze, Gilkes, Greaves, Guthiel, Hansford, Hayes, Hokaanga, Homewood, Hoy, Inns, Jahn, King, Knee, Marriner, May, McCarron, McCavel, McCrohon, McFarlane, Merry, Milne, Montgomery, Most, Mott, Orth, Parker, Pine, Roads, Rueping, Sear, Siegner, Stanaway, Voss, Weber, Wheeler, Whitehall, Woodcock

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BDM Lookups pls COULTER / CRAWFORD / STEVENSON etc.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there

The 1871 Scottish census surely indicates your Robert John Coulter was born in Ireland.  The household is found in the district of Holytown living at New Row.  He is as you further indicated a coal miner

Reg Number: 625/2 
Reg District: Holytown 
Civil Parish: Bothwell 
County: Lanarkshire 

The household members are:
Martha Coulter, age 21, wife, b. Glasgow, Lanark   
Robert John Coulter age 35, head, b. Ireland 
Agnes Messie age 3, visitor, b. Kilwinning, Ayr 

Yes somebody does have his death certificate..... www.Scotlandspeople.gov.uk does!..... and for a small expense you can view and download images of all the Scottish documents you've listed in your query.

His death certificate is easily found on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk indexed exactly as you've said:

1879 COULTER ROBERT     M 34 HOLYTOWN /LANARK 625/02 0020

On this document his parents are not named as deceased at the time of his death but no death for his mother using maiden and married name searches is found in Scotland. 

All indicators so far are strongly suggesting that he truly was from Ireland.

Good luck with your searches!

Jean

Offline allycat

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The Cantwell Knights of Strongbow 1170
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 12:18 BST (UK) »
Dear Jean, Hi back at you.  Thank you so much for putting me on the right track re country of origin of Robert John Coulter.  It is so nice to have facts right in the family tree.

Um, not knowing the area in Scotland, how can I find out where he and/or even his 1st wife and young child might be buried?  I'm guessing that COULTER is as common a surname as SMITH I suppose.

Regards,
Alison
from Qld Australia.
Abrams, Amor, Attwood, Bancroft, Bragier, Brennan, Bryant, Buchan, Cantwell, Cruse, Commins, Cullum, Debus, Denner, Dinner, DuCroix, Flanze, Gilkes, Greaves, Guthiel, Hansford, Hayes, Hokaanga, Homewood, Hoy, Inns, Jahn, King, Knee, Marriner, May, McCarron, McCavel, McCrohon, McFarlane, Merry, Milne, Montgomery, Most, Mott, Orth, Parker, Pine, Roads, Rueping, Sear, Siegner, Stanaway, Voss, Weber, Wheeler, Whitehall, Woodcock

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

Being from the US I'm at a disadvantage to know likely burial grounds.  Perhaps someone else can better assist on this angle.

Best wishes
Jean

Offline L L

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 May 08 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

Marriage Cert 1870
On the 15th day of July in Rutherglen
Free Church of Scotland
Robert John Coulter age 25 Coal Miner (bachelor)
Father William Coulter Agricultiral Labourer (deceased)
Mother Mary Coulter MS Crawford (deceased)
married
Marth Wilson age 21 Domestic Servant (spinster)
Father William WIlson Coal Miner
Mother Mary Ann Wilson MS McFarlane

Offline L L

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 May 08 18:45 BST (UK) »
Death Cert 28 April 1861 Bonhill Dunbarton:
Mary Coulter age 42
married to William Coulter Labourer
Father John Crawford deceased
Mother ________ MS Black
witness husband William Coulter

Offline L L

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 May 08 19:42 BST (UK) »
The 1861 Census shows William and Mary Coulter living in Bonhill
William Coulter Head age 46 Labourer (Printerworker) born England
Mary Coulter Wife age 42 born Argyleshire, Strachine

Offline L L

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 May 08 20:07 BST (UK) »
From Robert John Coulter's marriage cert to Martha Wilson in 1870, both his Father William Coulter and his mother Mary Crawford Coulter were already deceased.  The William Coulter you refer to as a farmer in the 1873 census is not the right one as yours has already passed by then.

If the census is correct then your William Coutler was born in England.

Offline L L

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 May 08 20:21 BST (UK) »
Birth Cert Mary Crawford 11 Oct 1814
Father John Crawford
Mother Christian Black
Born 11 Oct christened 15 Oct Strachur, Argyll

Other Children of John Crawford and Christian Black:
Jessie Crawford born 01 Sep 1817 Strachur

The only marraige cert I could find for John Crawford and Christian Black was
14 Jul 1798 in Greenock , Renfrew.