Author Topic: Cumnock Ayr, Ayrshire. John Fergusson and Spouse Christina Anderson  (Read 5047 times)

Offline HALE39

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cumnock Ayr, Ayrshire. John Fergusson and Spouse Christina Anderson
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 March 14 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Loobylooayr
 It could be so, as Jane is a domestic servant in 1881 census in Stafford Shire born Ayr, aged 31
 Married in 1884 in Staffordshire her husband would have had farming connections and also in  Manchester Moss side? she had 4 children pretty quickly.
She is said to have always required the ss spelling of Fergusson.

Cheers

HALE39

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 March 14 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Hale,
The poor wee nurse is not your Jane, I think. Wild goose chase there. There is another Jane born in Old Cumnock around 1850.
I believe the family are on the 1861 at Sandon in Staffordshire.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M716-NZ5
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M716-NZR
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M716-NZT

There could be 2 more children a Mary (no age given) and a James born c.1857 both in Staffordshire. This would tend to indicate that the first James had died. No mention of Christina jnr. She may also have died or she could be in service and working away from home . At 15/16 years old that would not be uncommon.

So looks like the family are in England Staffordshire from sometime after 1851.
Looby :)

Offline HALE39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 March 14 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Loobylooayr
 Well this Jane looks the right one, she is smack bang in the same place as her future husband and his extended Family, and family are buried in the Church yard, I wonder what father John is working at now? this area had links to the Potteries area's, and this Jane will be working at Oulton Manor in 1881 aged 31.

your brilliant

Cheers

HALE 39

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 March 14 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

The family are transcribed on the 1861 Census on www.freecen.org.uk  as Furguson

Address -Park Side - Sandon - Staffordshire

John Furguson           Head       age 39        Circulary Sawyer       born Scotland
Christiana Furguson   Wife       age 39                                                 "
Jane Furguson           Dau       age 11        Scholar                               "
Mary Furguson           Dau      age 8           Scholar                       born Stafforshire
James Furguson         Son      age 4            Scholar                               "

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 March 14 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Well, are you ready for the Welsh Connection?? ;D

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V5PB-Q3D

Looks like Christina Fergusson m.s. Anderson has died and John as remarried and had more children. Can't see daughter Mary. Jane is I think in employment in Surrey aged 21. And I suspect first daughter Christina is still in Scotland - but I could be wrong!

Added - the transcription of the above  1871 John Fergusson household is also available to look at on www.freecen.org.uk

Offline HALE39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 March 14 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Looby that transcription has to be the worst for a long time will have to find a copy of the original census form will try later this week. John has come up in the world no longer down the pit cutting planks he has now a circular saw.

The Welsh connection is a bit harder will have to try to find James 1848's death certificate record of his death same with Sister Christina.

Also need to find Johns 2nd Marriage record I also dont recognise Stour in Staffs will have to look it up.

Cheers

HALE39

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 March 14 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,
Being an Ayrshire lassie, I've no clue about any area of Staffordshire ;D
Stour could be Stour, Tamworth or Stourbridge?? At least that's what my brief research has turned up.
I pleased to say I've found sister Christina on 1861 Census also in Sandon.

She is at Sandon Farm - Stone (wonder if Stour is mistranscibed on Welsh Census and it should be Stone?? ) Staffordshire.

George Cargey               Head  M    47     Land Agent              Co. Durham, Berwick
Agnes Cargey                 Wife   M    41                                   Ireland
Margaret E Cargey          Dau    U   6     Scholar                     Sandon, Staffs
Gilbert J Cargey              Son    U    4     Scholar                     Sandon, Staffs
Sarah A Holt                Servant  U  19  House Servant            Ashton, Staffs
Christiana Ferguson     Servant  U  15  House Servant             Scotland

Note that Christina's name has also morphed into Christiana just like her mum's. Perhaps they deliberately changed it or it has been mistranscribed twice. Also the name Cargey is being used as a middle name in 1871 for one of John's sons to his second wife - could she be connected to this family?? Or was the use of the name out of respect for a friend/daughter's employer??

Re the Furguson transcription of 1861 - could be bad handwriting has caused a mistransription - or possibly the spelling mistake caused by the Ayrshire dialect! The enumerator would have written names down - they often wrote what they heard ;D, and many times the adults of the households could neither read or write, so the misspelling went unchecked.

Offline HALE39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Looby you are Brilliant,

The Morphing seems to be catching though as her surname FERGUSSON has dropped the double S Jane would not be pleased.

Will check out Sandon also.

Cheers

HALE39