Author Topic: Robina/Reubena Lochie transported to Australia in 1834  (Read 8624 times)

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robina/Reubena Lochie transported to Australia in 1834
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 March 14 09:17 GMT (UK) »

My Aunt had it written in documentation Robina was from Ayr.I will get in touch with her & find out exactly what info she has & get back to you.What does it mean in the court proceedings m.s. Lochie next to Mary Henderson.It seems Stirling is a long way from Ayr in my calculations.I havent found the name Lochie before.What are its origins.If this family were related & had servants why would Robina need to steal.I havent found a marriage for Robina so dont know if she was single when transported.Thanks,
                                     Chinka

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 March 14 10:07 GMT (UK) »
NSW SRO  CONVICT INDEXES  http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/collection-search

I wonder if there’s a connection between Robina/Rubena LOCHIE and Mary LOCHRIE, (alias Mary CLANCY,  so perhaps Mary was wife of a Mr CLANCY ) tried Glasgow CJ, ex the George HIBBERT of 1834,  T of L Braidwood District 43/638,  CP 1 March 1848, (CP 48/762). 

Cheers,  JM
She was charged at Stirling Court of Judiciary & transported to Australia on George Hibbert in 1834 arriving in 1835.She was said to be a native of Ayr.Does anyone have any info on any Lochie families during this time frame in these areas.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 March 14 10:31 GMT (UK) »

My aunt has info saying Robina was from Ayrshire,but doesnt say whereabouts.She was 18yrs when transported.She married Edward Alders in 1836 .He was from Leith ,Scotland .He was transported on Eliza 1 in 1819 when he was 18 yrs old .They had 11 children.10 daughters .Margaret was the eldest born 1837,Sarah b 1838,Ann b 1840 ,Jane b 1841,Christina b 1843,Agnes b 1845 ,Helen b 1847,Sophia b 1850,Maria b 1854  and Edward b 1855 then Amelia 1856 . There is that many different spellings of the names. Four different spellings of the surname Alders . I am sure Maria was pronounced Mariah with emphasis on the I like Mariah Carey the singer.                                                                                                                                     

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 March 14 10:40 GMT (UK) »

Robina /Rubena Lochie /Lockie  whichever way her name was spelt was illiterate .She wouldnt have known how to spell her name.She signed with a cross.Who really knows how her surname is spelt.I have found that many different spellings of her maiden & married surnames each of her children spell it differently.I really dont know what her name really is.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 20 March 14 10:46 GMT (UK) »
What does it mean in the court proceedings m.s. Lochie next to Mary Henderson.

m.s = maiden surname

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 March 14 11:26 GMT (UK) »
As you say, Chinka, spellings were fluid and not relevant really in those days.

I have seen other sources which quote Robina's birth place as being Edinburgh (New South Wales, Australia, Gaol Description and Entrance Books, 1818-1930)

However, another database (Australian Convict Index, 1788-1868) quotes Ayrshire.

Monica  :)

Added: Can't see anything for a birth/christening for her (or a Mary) on the index here www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  On one of the convict databases, her religion is given as Presbyterian which can be easier to find records for in this period, rather than Roman Catholic for example. However, not helping here  :-\
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 March 14 12:01 GMT (UK) »

So we have Robina Lochie being born about 1814-15 who was charged with Mary Henderson whose maiden name was Lochie.Maybe her sister or some other relation .of sorts.And she may have been born in Edinburgh.At least we have something as her parents names arent on her death certificate.I now know she was Scottish.I ve made some headway.

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 March 14 12:18 GMT (UK) »

In court proceedings what does tried and put to the horn mean.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 March 14 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Details of Scottish criminal cases (where available) can be searched for here www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

The trial of Mary Henderson/Lochie was some months earlier on 15 Apr 1833 (ref JC26/1833/258). For Mary there is also a reference to 'precognition' (gathering and documenting of evidence prior to trial) which states:

Margaret Henderson, daughter of John Henderson, late miner, and Mary Henderson or Miller, sister to Alexander Henderson, Age: 18, Address: New Sauchie, Clackmannanshire, with mother
Mary Henderson, wife of Alexander Henderson, moulder, m.s. Lochie, Address: New Sauchie, Clackmannanshire, with husband

Given the location/timing etc., don't know if we can connect Mary and Robina at this stage  :-\

Robina's shows on 12 Sep 1833 (ref JC26/1833/362). Couldn't see a precognition for her.

chinka, have a search on the Catalogue. Relatively easy to navigate. The spelling of the surname I used was Lochie (there might be further details under variants).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk