Author Topic: Orchard Leonard CARVOLTH and CARVOLTHS in Redruth union workhouse  (Read 4274 times)

Offline susanca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Orchard Leonard CARVOLTH and CARVOLTHS in Redruth union workhouse
« on: Tuesday 01 March 11 14:14 GMT (UK) »
hi would anyone have access to parish records in and around redruth to a look up orchard leonard carvolth born at the end of 1895. his gro reference is

Births Dec 1895
Carvolth    Orchard Leonard         Redruth    5c   198   

i'm interested in finding out who his parents were, but can't find any record of him or them in 1901.

or does anyone have access to the redruth union workhouse records to find out about an edith carvolth who stayed there from 1894 with a baby and may have had a second 1895/6 there too? and who could confirm the name of the second child...

thanks

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Orchard Leonard CARVOLTH and CARVOLTHS in Redruth union workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 May 11 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi I can't help with the parish records but I cant find Orchard in any record other than bmd's. I saw your previous post on Mabel Carvolth also and wondered are they siblings?
 I did some digging in the censuses etc. on (Mary ) Edith Carvolth, living with parents John (blind- mining accident) and Mary and other siblings, and found an old newspaper article.

In Dec.1898 a Mary Edith Carvolth of Carn Brea turned up at Truro County Court with a baby in her arms having been charged with obtaining money on false and fraudulent pretences.  She was described as a single mother with 'two or three illegitimate children' and living with her parents, father injured in a mining accident. She had served various terms of imprisonment for begging and deserting her children and was again imprisoned for ten days with hard labour.

Maybe her children were 'farmed out',
Hope this was of interest,
Claire.t
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 May 11 07:39 BST (UK) »
I have looked at the actual Redruth PRs baptisms for that time (1890 to 1900) and nothing there.

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline susanca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 May 11 12:54 BST (UK) »
hi claire and fizzy

thankyou very much for both looking things up.

claire is the newspaper article accessible online? what you say about mary edith carvolth is fascinating. it would be great to have a copy of the article if it's available....mary edith is the mother of orchard and another child - mabel carvolth, amongst others later on.

fizzy - i think although the bmd has a record of an orchard carvolth he may have otherwise been known as archie...so maybe there's a spelling issue there!

thanks again to you both.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 May 11 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi I joined the Lancashire County Library which gave me access to the online reference library ( it only took a few days for the card to arrive), your local library may have access also. The British Library also has free online access to newspapers but it didn't have the article about Mary.

claire.t
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline susanca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 May 11 14:43 BST (UK) »
thanks claire for info on newspaper source.
susanca

Offline susanca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 13:11 BST (UK) »
hi claire
would it be possible to have a copy of the newspaper article? i'll pm my email address.
susanca

Offline DebbyB

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 January 14 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am reading 'A Cornish Waif's Story' which I am sure you know was an autobiography written by Mabel under the name of Emma Smith in 1954. In the book she is 'sold' by her mother to a couple who are peddlers/Organ Grinders and basically use Mabel to beg for them. All this happens, circa 1899 when her grandparents and Aunts move to Plymouth. Mabel has to call the couple ma and pa. Mabel also meets Charlie age 14 who, like Mabel, has been 'sold' to them for the same purposes. I have done some research and have found in the 1901 census, a George Noel and wife staying in Plymouth with their 'children' Charles and Mabel, ages match, who has the occupation of Organ Grinder. I think this is why Mabel can't be found easily on the 1901 census under her birth name. Mabel is illegitimate, I think her mothers name was Mary born 1872 and she appears n the 1881 census with her mother, John her father is a patient in the Miners Hospital West Cornwall. I think Mary goes onto marry a William Hennessey who refuses to accept Mabel, hence her predicament with the peddler couple. Hennessey does allow her brother to live with him and Mary as he will be able to earn money eventually. Sorry if I am repeating information you might already know.