Author Topic: Elizabeth Ann Yeo  (Read 2683 times)

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Ann Yeo
« on: Thursday 04 July 13 19:03 BST (UK) »
I've hit yet another brick wall!

I'm trying to find a Birth Certificate for an Elizabeth Ann Yeo for around 1839 (+/- 2 yrs) in the Liskeard area.

She was base born to a Susanna Yeo from Duloe, I've found a suitable baptism for 1843 just after Susanna married a Francis Crago(e) however, she appears on the 1841 census in Duloe with her Mother and Grandfather Samuel Yeo.

The only BMD references I can find are for Stratton and Holdsworthy, I can only think that either they've missed this one out, she was in the Workhouse for being a naughty girl, she had her over the border or more likely, due to the stigma that it wasn't registered at all!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Ann Yeo
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 July 13 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Whilst most people did register their childrens births from 1837 it didn`t become a finable offence not to until 1875.  Before then it was up to the registrar to seek them out, so it is quite possible she was never registered. 

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 July 13 22:44 BST (UK) »
Mo,

That's what I was thinking bearing in mind that she was Illigitimate!

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline fizzix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 August 13 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Looking at the cornwall opc website http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/home/
there's a gap in the baptisms for Duloe between 1837 - 1846, just the bit you want  :(
It may be worth contacting the opc for Duloe as they may have access to those records.
Jacqui
 8)
Walls, James, Waterworth, Coram, Higman, Ecroyd, Battersby, Monk, Hine, Reid, Hancock, Glanville, Hudspith, McDonald, Podesta, Wyatt, Harrison, Scantlebury, Davey, Whiting, Edmonds, Glover, Donnithorne.

"All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 16:48 BST (UK) »
A suggestion that may be off the wall ... or maybe not ...

Searching at FreeBMD just for Elizabeth Ann born in Liskeard reg dist 1837-1839 ... the very first one is

Elizabeth Ann Fregenna JEW
Dec quarter 1837

This is a pretty unusual surname in Cornwall. In fact, it is the only instance in the GRO of a birth in Cornwall with that surname. There is also one instance in censuses: in 1841, for a record where the image at Ancestry is completely illegible.

The GRO index for that year is a typed transcript made at a later date, but of course the surname would have been in alphabetical order at the time. (I am assuming there was a handwritten index for the very early years as there is in later years -- I've never actually investigated that!) But could the name have been mistranscribed into the index in the first place? YEO to JEW is not an entirely inconceivable error. Especially given that FREGENNA is obviously a mistranscription of TREGENNA.

The certificate itself might be more legible, and of course could be ruled in or out by the mother's / parents' names.

If it were your Elizabeth, you would then have a pretty darned good indication of her father's identity as well. ;)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 16:58 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 1841 census, there are Tregenna-s and Yeo-s cheek by jowl in Duloe. (Search for TREG*NA to catch as many of the spelling variants/mistranscriptions as possible.) For instance, there is a household in District 5 with two young Tregenna girls and two young Yeo girls working as servants.

I would get that birth certificate if I were spending your money. ;)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 17:04 BST (UK) »
In 1851 Elizabeth A J/F Jew, b. Liskard, age 13, is with her parents in Royal Marine Barracks in East Stonehouse, Devon.  Father Samuel, b. East Stonehouse, Devon age 34, quartermaster; Mother Elizabeth, b. Duloe, Cornwall, age 38. There are two younger sisters, Lucy and Emma, both b. East Stonehouse.

So, I don't think she's your Elizabeth.

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 17:33 BST (UK) »
Rats rats rats!

I saw an Emma Jew birth in Devon in 1866, but not those. In fact, I still don't see those two births. Oh well, hiding somewhere! the 1851 census is very clear, and they are there in barracks in 1841 as well.

I guess this won't be one of the occasions like beating the "professional genealogist" who failed to find a birth because the surname Hawes was spelled w/o an "e". ;)