Author Topic: Mayo - Lynskey  (Read 12503 times)

Offline nycnut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mayo - Lynskey
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Lep

I am happy to hear you enjoyed reading about My Grand Uncle John.  I loved him so much.  I so love his music.  The whole family could play piano by ear except the youngest girl and she learned to read music and became a piano teacher.  I cannot carry a note to save my life or play any instrument but I still HEAR the music and LOVE John's notes.  He used to come home to our small hometown from NYC and we were all so excited waiting for him - once he came in playing the mandolin and one playing the ukulele - singing away his new songs..........we would all gather round the piano and John and siblings would take turns playing....I was 6-12 yrs then and boy did I love those times - John and his NY model wife had no children and she would come with the high heels - black seamed stockings and a veil hat over her face and fox stoles - we all thought she was really something! 

Here is a new link I found recently about John - What a great tribute to his work wow!!!  If you haven't seen it - here it is:   http://worcestersongs.blogspot.com/2013/01/i-let-song-go-out-of-my-heart.html  And this song 'I Let a Song...."  Might be my favorite....maybe...

Thanks for your note.  -Mary

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 16:32 BST (UK) »
What a talented man!

I wonder if contacting Mayo library might help. It does seem strange that there is nothing much about his family roots. http://www.mayolibrary.ie/en/home/index.aspx

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nycnut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 19:40 BST (UK) »
Why Heywood - Of course!  Thanks for the shove in the right direction - I am going to do that right now!   

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 14:54 BST (UK) »
 Hello Mary, And yes Heywood he was a very Talented man.The Bands and songs of today are not a patch in the era of John Redmond Lynskey.and all who sang his songs.
                                               Good Luck with your Irish Family Mary.Grand to meet you the pleasure was all mine.
                    Lep.

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 16:19 BST (UK) »
 Hello Heywood.The Library Mayo.
  The Taoiseach did launch Music Generation Mayo Library. But it helps Children and young people access Music education.
                   Lep.

Offline nycnut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 17:02 BST (UK) »
Lep and Hey

It was fun chatting with you all too and if I find anything about John's roots in Ireland I will come back here and let you all know.  Thanks so much for being here!  I really love rootschat!

I do know that Killarney has a yr round Xmas festival and their theme song is Christmas in Killarney that John penned here in NYC.  Maybe I should contact Killarney Library too.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Heywood.The Library Mayo.
  The Taoiseach did launch Music Generation Mayo Library. But it helps Children and young people access Music education.
                   Lep.

Good to know  :) I was wondering re John's roots - that if his origins were in Mayo, there may be something tucked away.

Good idea also re Killarney - you never know what may turn up.

heywood  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Owenwee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 20 June 13 17:14 BST (UK) »

NYCNUT

If you try the site Mayo.ie and follow link for what's on, at he National Museum near Turlough,Castlebar Co Mayo an event this Sunday,they also hold monthly Geneology meetings.You may get someone who could look to see if they have any information to help.I have visited the museum when first opened.I see you have Peter's death notice in 1918,do you have a copy of the death cert as sometimes Clinton records  show name of Townland they came from not just County of birth also full names of parents.

PS the marriage cert on your tree states Peter William not Peter Joseph as you say.

Offline nycnut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 20 June 13 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Owenwee

I will try the site and your suggestion - yes - near my hometown we have a genealogy group - rather informal, that meet weekly too and I think they would do the same - thank you so much for that idea and the link. 

Yes I know about the discrepancy, I did think it WAS  Peter William UNTIL his grandson(very recently told me he was indeed named after his grandfather and it was Peter Joseph as his name is Joseph Peter.   Joseph never knew his grandfather Peter - so he asked his Aunt - "I was named after Grampa - what was he like?"  And the Aunt answered after some thought "He had a lot of friends and he really liked a good time."   I have to go back and see about his death record in Clinton - that was when I first started searching and I may have missed soemthing - thank you again!  .....back to the basics - yes!  I do have to correct my tree on the nest upload...