Author Topic: Charlestown- O'Donnels  (Read 3041 times)

Offline JoeBrennan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charlestown- O'Donnels
« on: Wednesday 03 December 14 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Anyone have any information on the O'Donnell family in Charlestown?  My Grandmother moved to Philadelphia when she was 13 or so.  Her brother Eddie was the Postman for a long time.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charlestown- O'Donnels
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 09:02 GMT (UK) »
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Mayo/Sonnagh/Sonnagh/741237/
Dont know if these ODonnells are connected.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Mayo/Sonnagh/Charlestown_Urban/741415/

Have you got any further info to help people to search?  (such as dates even approximate dates, grandmothers name)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 09:27 GMT (UK) »
We really do need more details before we can either give you more details or suggest where to search next. Just remember not to post details of anyone still living.

The 1911 census only lists 1 O'Donnell in Charlestown itself so perhaps your grandmother's family lived outside the town and moved there later.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Mayo/Sonnagh/Charlestown_Urban/741403
If you expand the search for O'Donnells in the same D.E.D. (Sonnagh) then there are 46 results.

Do you have the passenger manifest from your grandmother's arrival in the U.S.? the form should list where she was going to, who she was travelling with and contact details for nearest relative back home (relationship, name, address) which would be useful.

Did your grandmother marry in U.S.? if so, her marriage certificate should list names of both parents and probably her exact date of birth.

Added- there's an Edward O'Donnell here (age 8 in 1911) but impossible to know if this is your relative until you provide more details.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Mayo/Sonnagh/Sonnagh/741237
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline JoeBrennan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 December 14 02:08 GMT (UK) »
I believe the Sonnaugh O'Donnell's are the ones.  My Grandmother, Catherine seems to be the correct age at the time of this census.  She left for Philadelphia right around this time at age 14...the only one from her family to go to the United States.  Her brother Eddie O'Donnell was the postman in Charlestown area for roughly 30 or 40 years if memory serves.  Thanks for the research.  Is there anyway to go back further on the father, John O'Donnell age 52 of this census?

Correction, I had the wrong names.  Edward O'Donnell and Winifred Walsh would have been my Great Grandparents.  My Grandfather is John Brennan born 8/13/02 in Dungiven, County Londonderry and my Grandmother is Catherine (Kate) born 6/26/07 in Ardara, County Mayo