Author Topic: Nonconformist records  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Nonconformist records
« on: Wednesday 16 January 13 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, another one from me!

I've got an entire Llanwinio family that I can't find... I'm guessing they are nonconformists... Is there any way of seeing nonconformist records? I think I read that they are accessable via some paid sites but it didn't say which ones...

Thanks.

Offline Rhosgoch

• RootsChat Member
  • Granny Betsy Saer
    • View Profile
Re: Nonconformist records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 22:11 GMT (UK) »
What is the family's name?
I have Phillips in Llanwinio, and they were Unitarians at Rhydyparc Chapel. There are no existing records for the chapel, but there is a list of burials at "GENUKI : Rhydyparc Unitarian Chapel".
Henllan Chapel and Rock Chapel, Trelech are other possibilities for Independents. FreeReg has a lot of Nonconformist records, as has Family Search.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 January 13 14:54 GMT (UK) »
according to the book "Non-conformist Registers of Wales", both the Baptist Church at Cwmfelinmynach and the Calvinistic Methodist at Cwmbach deposited their registers. Cwmbach's records are on FamilySearch batch C100621. It's possible both losts of records are on this site

http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/   

You can search for free, but need to pay to see the details.

Baptisms from Tabor Congregrational 1800-1837 are on FreeReg.
Records for Moriah Independent are with those of Glandwr in Llanfyrnach, whereabouts are on the Genuki page for that parish
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/PEM/Llanfyrnach/index.html#ChurchRecords

Genuki is usually your best bet for finding where various church records are.

It always possible that some records have been lost. Some non-conformist records moved with the minister.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 January 13 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both.

They are Griffiths-
James (c1802, Mydrim-1895 Llanwinio) and Mary nee Lewis (c1801 Llanwinio-1870, Llanwinio), with kids Elizabeth c1826, (then a gap because of Elizabeth being my ancestor and then no records unti 1841) Easter 1831, Hannah 1833, Phebe 1835, Amy 1837 and John 1839, all Llanwinio.

I've looked on familysearch, freereg, FindMyPast, bmdregisters, someone else looked at parish registers in Wales (the usual church ones) and no sign of any of them.  ???