Author Topic: Washbourn  (Read 12899 times)

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Washbourn
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 July 14 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi there any information or photos would be great. We have no photos of Ellen as my great grandfather lost all photos in a house fire. I am still working on the idea of Williams mother having some connection to the Evenlyn/Everley family (Spelt both ways), who owned Tillingdown. This family also came from Wiltshire which would fit with the Washbourns. There are a number of published pedigrees for the family in Visitations etc... but I just can't find the link at present. William received a substantial amount of money at aged 21 and I believe it came from his maternal side of the family.

Offline alibaba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 July 14 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa, Our family has been speculating for several generations about the identity of 'Aunt' Emma Everley, but no-one has managed to solve the mystery. The name Everley has been incorporated into the names of several of our relations eg my grandfather Henry Everley Arthur Washbourn( a GP in Nelson , and my uncle Richard Everley Washbourn (who was a Rear Admiral and Chief of the Naval Staff in N Z in the early 1960s, and this Richard's son is Jonathon Everley Washbourn.  I don't think that anyone has previously made that connection with the Everley name and the Tillingdown owners, so that's exciting! When Emma died she apparently left everything to William, despite not having seen him  since he left for NZ decades before.... Presumably they wrote to each other regularly .There was a feeling in the family that most of Emma's bounty was taken by the English lawyers who were handling her estate and only a small fraction of the money's reached NZ there was apparently a fine portrait William's father Richard mounted on a hunting steed that was sold cheaply at auction in Devizes after Emma's demise. I have some great letters that the sisters  wrote, mostly to their brother Arty who stayed in Golden Bay... often difficult to decipher as they tended to write a page and then spin the page 90 degrees and write another page over the top of the original.. if that makes sense! Also 3 or photos of the sisters Nell, Maud and Florence which would be exciting for you to see ! I'm new to this site , so how would it be best to send you material that I have? Can one post photos on this site? I live in Nelson, but travel often to the Wellington to see family

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 02 September 16 21:53 BST (UK) »
To anyone interested I have purchased the will of Emma Everley and she lists William Everley Washbourn as her brother. Emma left William her estate minus costs and her mortgage. So I suspect Richard either had a daughter and son which I believe were both illegitimate and born to different mothers or Emma was the daughter of William's mother either way making them half siblings. Emma's lawyer was William Chubb of Middlesex and her executor was Richard's brother in-law possibly Emma's uncle Thomas Hicks Chandler gentleman, husband of Anne Washbourn Richard's sister. Emma's estate only amounted to 724 pounds, 1shilling and 11dimes. Emma doesn't appear to have inherited any vast fortune while William on the other hand seemed to inherit considerable wealth.

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Washbourn - Tillingdown link with Evelyn Family
« Reply #22 on: Monday 10 September 18 04:18 BST (UK) »
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/surrey/vol4/pp321-326#h3-0003

TILLINGDON or TILLINGDOWN
TILLINGDON or TILLINGDOWN was held as a manor in 1086. The wife of Salie, who held Tandridge of Richard de Clare at Domesday, held Tillingdon also of the same overlord, and it is probable that the two manors descended together until the time of Thomas de Warblington, in the latter part of the 13th century. In 1300 Christine his widow, then married to Henry de Shenefeld, sued for her dower out of lands here, but it was found upon inquiry that Thomas had sold to Gilbert de Clare, late Earl of Gloucester and Hertford, all his lands in Tillingdon held in fee, including a capital messuage and curtilage of the yearly value of 3s. per annum, 300 acres of land and 200 acres of meadow, held for the service of half a knight's fee. (fn. 59) Tillingdon was then held as a member of Blechingley Manor (fn. 60) (q.v.) by the Clares and their descendants, (fn. 61) passing with Blechingley to Margaret wife of Hugh de Audley, one of the co-heirs of Gilbert de Clare. In 1428 the Earl of Stafford held half a knight's fee in Tillingdon and 'Todeham' in this parish. (fn. 62) The manor came to the Crown with Blechingley at the attainder of Edward Duke of Buckingham. The king granted it to Thomas Cardycan for life in 1522. (fn. 63) In 1525, presumably after Cardycan's death, Walter Chaldecote, serjeant-at-arms, received it from the king. (fn. 64) In 1532 the reversion was granted in tailmale to Sir Nicholas Carew, (fn. 65) who, however, forfeited it by his attainder.

¶Later the manor was granted to William Wibarn, who alienated to Sir Thomas Cawarden in 1545. (fn. 66) In 1562 William Lord Howard of Effingham received licence to alienate 'the capital messuage or farm called Tillingdon to Thomas Gardener.' (fn. 67) It passed before 1565 to Humphrey Shelton, who in that year alienated it to Alan Horde. (fn. 68) It afterwards became the property, by purchase from Horde, of George Evelyn of West Dean, Wiltshire, who died in 1637 and who also held Caterham and Marden in this county. (fn. 69) After this date it passed with the latter manor (q.v.), the sale of Marden from Mary Gittings to Sir Robert Clayton in 1672 including also the tenement or farm of Tillingdon, estimated to contain about 600 acres. (fn. 70) The farm of Tillingdon lies in the detached portion of Tandridge cut off by Godstone parish. The original manor, however, seems from the Domesday Survey to have included the site of a church, presumably Tandridge Church, which is as old as 1120. The part of the manor where the church is situated is apparently not in the hands of Sir W. R. Clayton, but it is not known at what date it was separated from the rest of the estate.

Offline hengeman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 16 December 19 16:54 GMT (UK) »
I have an extensive tree of the Yatesbury Washbourns, how they are connected with other yeoman families in Yatesbury, like Long, and Caswell.  Wills showing large inheritances etc.  All good stuff.

You can also visit my web page www.moonrakers.com where I am adding articles frequently  - see FORUM link for yatesbury village and Washbourn articles

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 16 December 19 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hengeman I would love to know more. I have a bit of information on this family but I have hit a brick wall because I live in NZ so have reached my end with research without a trip to the UK. I had a look at the link you provided but didnt see any infomation on the Washbourns. Look forward to your reply. Lisa

Offline hengeman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 16 December 19 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Best thing is to register on the web page then I'll put your email address on my mail list. I have several back issues that will help. Perhaps you could post on the Washbourn thread & say how far back you have researched.

I know where all the money came from for the farms etc. It a developing story too! ::)

https://moonrakers.createaforum.com/ 

Once you register, then look for 'Wiltshire Family Surnames'   and make an entry there. I hope to post something shortly.

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 16 December 19 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have signed up on moonrakers so I'll go back there