Author Topic: RISK Surname - Mainly Stirling, Dunbarton, Renfrew & Lanark.  (Read 52178 times)

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RISK Surname - Mainly Stirling, Dunbarton, Renfrew & Lanark.
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 30 August 09 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Coline - Beg to differ re William and Elizabeth they both died in Alloa, although cannot obtain death cert through SP.

MI's for Alloa -
William Risk ship's carpenter and his wife Elizabeth Hall 11 Jul 1865 Stone erected by Elizabeth Hall Risk and John A.D.Risk.

But as I said have been unable to track down a death certificate.  Will have another go later.

My interest is..she was the sister of my grandfather x4.

Regards patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline Coline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 31 August 09 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Patvp1,
SORRY about that mix up. You are right about Alloa and the death dates are the ones I have entered in my FTM.  It doesn't pay to pass on info when one is tired! I have them from the MI. You won't find William's death on SP as it was pre-reg.
The other info below is correct as have copies of all reg - contact me for more details.
Unfortunately I can't help any more with Elizabeth Hall.
Regards, Coline.

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 31 August 09 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Coline - Very frustrating.. ??? cannot find a Death for Elizabeth Hall, have just gone through half a dozen credits on SP and tried every which way.
Have the marriage and the reg of the four children..but still no death Aaagh  ???
Have taken note of what you sent me, will send you a pm with my e.mail.

Regards Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 31 August 09 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi - Still no joy with a death for Exlizabeth Hall/Risk tried every which way  ???

Got a death for the son John Alexander Risk, he died 18 Apr 1910 at Cathcart..does anyone know about burial records for this area ??? please.

He was still listed as a writer but am damned if I can find any record of what he may have "written" ;D

Nothing on Elizabeth Hall Risk the one born 1839 nor Margaret L Risk dob 1841, tried for marriages on SP... no go.
something may turn up.

Regards Patvp

Offline geniegal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 31 August 09 15:55 BST (UK) »
Records for Cathcart if burial or cremation is there will be kept in Glasgow. Cost is about $8-10 to get a copy of a entry. Need to know Name date of death and location of burial or cremation. Closest crematorium is the Linn but there is a cemetary there also and another in the Muirend area. Google earth is helpful to locate places such as this
Geniegal

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 31 August 09 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat

In respect of John A Risk's occupation from his 1901 entry showing as 'writer' this would in Scotland mean a solicitor - which also fits with his occupation in 1881 and 1891 which showed as Procurator which means the same  :)

Monica 
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 31 August 09 18:27 BST (UK) »
One possibility for Margaret Risk. There is this marriage on IGI:

Margaret Risk and William Jeffrey on 01 NOV 1872 Milton, Glasgow

One child showing on IGI is a William born on 06 SEP 1873 Bridgeton, Glasgow. Possibly this 1881 census entry for her:

Margaret Jeffrey 39, landlady b. Alloa
William Jeffrey 7, b. Glasgow
Robert G Storach 24, lodger
John R Storach 12 , lodger

Address: Hillhead, Partick Lanarkshire

And in 1891:

Margaret Jeffrey 49, keeps lodgers, b. Alloa
William Jeffrey 17, son b. Glasgow

Address: 45 Bank St, Partick Govan

Margaret is at the same address in 1901, now showing as a Fisher (doulton) with three lodgers.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 31 August 09 23:17 BST (UK) »
 ;D  ;D  ;D
Hi Monica - You have done it again, had tried all the wild cards with Risk..but Kirk ?? that one had not occured to me !!
Will check for Margaret's marriage to William Jeffrey on SP..how those credits disappear  :o
Hope you are well m'dear. Will slow down the end of this week as have friends arriving from Purley, Surrey, staying for a month  :D looking forward to it.

Once again and as always Thank you.
Patvp

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 31 August 09 23:38 BST (UK) »
Yep that's Margaret and William Jeffrey !! from his details looks as tho'his mother was a Hall as well, another road to go down  ;D

Also thaks to Geniegel for that info, first have to get death date

Patvp