Author Topic: Laurens; Jersey, Channel Islands  (Read 8825 times)

Offline Northern Jo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Laurens; Jersey, Channel Islands
« on: Friday 01 June 12 07:03 BST (UK) »
Trying to document birth, ancestry and emigration information for Walter Laurens, born c1873 on Jersey, Channel Islands.  We think that his second name was Randolf.  His parents may have been Jean (John) Laurens and Jane LeQuesne.

We believe that it is this Walter who married July 10, 1918 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada and died in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.  His wife's name was Emily Robb, but we have no details on her either.  Walter and Emily had six children (five daughters and one son) all born in Manitoba, Canada.

OR, maybe, our 1918 Walter Randolf is a son of the 1873 Walter.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.  We are at a loss  :-\

Joanne
DUNCAN (and associated families of HAXTON, WATSON, WALLACE, BELL, ANDERSON, SPEED and LESSLIE) originated in Fifeshire, Scotland

REID (and associated families of HERON, KEITH, REIDFORD/REDFORD, MORRISON, WEBSTER, PIRIE, OGILVIE, DINGUAL, LAURENCE, GRANT, FRASER, and FORBES) originated in Banffshire, Scotland

CUNNINGHAM (pre 1780) -- John, Richard and Michael originated in Roscommon County, Ireland

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Laurens; Jersey, Channel Islands
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 June 12 13:51 BST (UK) »
Last Name: LAURENS
First Name: WALTER RANDOLPH
Date of Birth: 10/05/1888
Place of Birth: RAPID CITY
Parents Married
Mother Cornelia RANDOLPH

Siblings at Portage La Prairie;
LAVINIA JANE Laurens, 07/08/1886
JOHN ADOLPHUS Laurens, 06/02/1891
(John married Martha TEMPEST 14/04/1914)

There is also a Death of a Walter LAURENS, 03/01/1924,
age 75 (Birth c 1849)
+ CORNELIA Laurens, age 75, 01/02/1924 (Birth c 1849)

The Marriage Date you have for Walter/Emily Robb is correct.

http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php

You may have to buy some Certs to get extra info.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 June 12 14:13 BST (UK) »
Going by Death Record, YOB for Walter Laurens and your thinking his Parents may be Jean/Jane;

1871 Census
Handois?,
St Lawrence, Jersey, Channel Islands
RG9/4402/44/1
Jean LAURENS, 48, Head, Mar, Farmer, born St Lawrence
Jane, 46, Wife, Mar, born St John
Philip, 15, Son, Scholar, born St Lawrence
WALTER, 13, Son, Scholar, born St Lawrence
Lambert, 10, Son, Scholar, born St Lawrence
Lavinia, 8, Daug, Scholar, born St Lawrence
Adolphus, 4, Son, born St Lawrence

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Northern Jo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 June 12 20:49 BST (UK) »
Once again, Trish, you have been a godsend!!!  I was missing a generation in my research I think so dates just weren't making any sense.  The Laurens line is for my daughter-in-law's family and they know very little about them (like many of us do regarding our ancestors) so I was trying to trace back with what little information we had.  Now, I think, there is a connection!!!  Still unsure who Walter's parents are because there are two or three Walters with different sets of parents.  More researching to be done  ;D

Joanne ???
DUNCAN (and associated families of HAXTON, WATSON, WALLACE, BELL, ANDERSON, SPEED and LESSLIE) originated in Fifeshire, Scotland

REID (and associated families of HERON, KEITH, REIDFORD/REDFORD, MORRISON, WEBSTER, PIRIE, OGILVIE, DINGUAL, LAURENCE, GRANT, FRASER, and FORBES) originated in Banffshire, Scotland

CUNNINGHAM (pre 1780) -- John, Richard and Michael originated in Roscommon County, Ireland

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 June 12 02:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanne,
I am glad I could help.
There doent seem to be many generations to me;
Jea/Jane have Walter 1848/9
He Marries Cornelia c 1885 (age about 37)
They have 3 Children 1886/1888/1891 including Walter Randolph Laurens 1888.
Walter Randolph Laurens born 1888 Marries Emily Robb 1918

Walter (1848/9) and Cornelia (1848/9) both die age 75 in 1924

You Daug in Law needs to purchase some Certs to establish the facts.
I would start with Walter/Emilys Marriage Cert.

Anc has some Records of Emigration to Canada fro a Walter Laurens but my Sub doesnt cover them.
You may have to ask on another post for that info.

Trish :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 June 12 02:45 BST (UK) »
There is a Marriage on the Site I posted for a Walter Laurens to a Cornelia FELLER 07/12/1885
It may be that Cornelia was a Widow when she Married Walter and is nee Randolph.

Offline Northern Jo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 June 12 06:23 BST (UK) »
I agree that we will need to purchase some certificates to prove facts.  I believe that Cornelia Randolph Feller may have been a divorcee because I keep coming up with a man with the same name as her first husband in United States censuses after she arrived in Canada and married to Walter Laurens.  According to the information I have found about a Cornelia Randolph married to an Edgar Feller there were at least two children born to them but I haven't found those children on any censuses with either Cornelia and her new family or with Edgar.

Puzzling  ::)

Obviously more, in depth, research required.  Thanks again.

Joanne

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 June 12 08:40 BST (UK) »
I have the Le Quesne family tree book from Jersey.There are loads of trees in the book and I will later look up your connection.Before doing so perhaps you would let me know if there is anything else in the book you'd like me to look up on the Le Quesne line.Do you want to go back further.Theres info about certain members of family ,pictures etc.my gggggrandmother was an Elizabeth Le Quesne,hence thebuying if the book.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline Northern Jo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 June 12 18:15 BST (UK) »
Ringrose:
I would be interested in any information you would be willing to share with me.  This particular line of our tree belongs to my daughter-in-law's family and they know relatively nothing about them.  Her family descends from Jean (John) Laurens who married Jane Le Quesne.  So any information on that couple as well as Jane's parents, siblings (and their descendants) and ancestors prior to the early 1800s would be greatly appreciated.

Anything pertaining to the Laurens line would also be welcomed.  This line, in descending order is:  Jean (John)/Walter/Walter Randolph (in Canada)/Emily (married Paul Camp)/James (Jim) Camp/Melissa (my daughter-in-law).  Not many generations but they know relatively nothing about their ancestry.

If they are interested, would it still be possible to purchase a copy of the Le Quesne family history book?  If so, who would I contact?

If it would be more convenient to send information to my regular e-mail address, please send to *--- this is the address that I use for all of my genealogical research.

Thank you so much, Joanne
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php