Author Topic: Peter Jordan c.1802 & Bridget Fox c.1815  (Read 3577 times)

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Jordan c.1802 & Bridget Fox c.1815
« on: Wednesday 19 February 14 03:53 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate marriage or other info on Peter Jordan (born c.1802) and Bridget Fox (born c.1815), who married in the 1830s and had at least one child (James c.1839) in Ireland before emigrating to Canada c.1840 and then settling in Pittsburgh USA before 1850.

U.S. records indicate they were from County Mayo, but I have no idea what parish(es) they came from.  Any suggestions on how best to find info on their marriage or births?  Based on their surnames, are there any parishes or areas that might be especially worth focusing on?

Or do these people sound familiar to you?  Thanks.

Steve

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Jordan c.1802 & Bridget Fox c.1815
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Rootsireland.ie (PPV) has the marriage of Peter Jordan and Biddy Fox in Co Mayo in 1834. You will need to buy credits to find out more....
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 February 14 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  That certainly looks like them.  I'll check out the site you suggested.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Steve,as Shaunj said their marriage was in 1834 in North Mayo. I also came across another marriage which may be related to your people. Catharinam(Catharine) Jordan married 2 Feb 1834 in Strokestown,co Roscommon to Patt Fox.
If you look at the Tithe Applotment books 1814-1855 you find that Peter Jordan was in Derrasallagh townland,Crossmolina parish residing in 1833.There are also other Jordans in the vicinity.
Came across 3 births for children of Peter Jordan and Bridget- John 1845,Peter 1848, and James 1850 which is odd as you said they were in Pittsburg by this time.
Best bet is to go to nearest LDS library and look at parish registers for Crossmolina,co Mayo where you should find the marriage and these births.The records on microfilm for Crossmolina are:
Baptisms:
Aug 1831-Aug 1841
1845-1880
Marriages:
Nov 1832-Feb 1841
March 1846-Dec 1880
If you don't mind spending time looking at microfilm you can save yourself a few bob especially as you at least have specific years to look at.Hope this helps,Kim

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the additional info.  Although the 1834 marriage date fits fairly well with the family I'm looking for, the children you found are definitely a different family.  But the parish suggestion is helpful.  I think I'll have to be careful not to mix up people with the same name, as it sounds like both Jordan and Fox may be common names in the area.

Offline Megsie68

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 September 20 02:06 BST (UK) »
Hello, Peter Jordan and Bridget Fox are my ancestors and we have been trying to figure out who Peter's parents are for many years. We have traced our family history back to Peter and Bridget, but unfortunately have hit a dead end there. I'm wondering if you have found any additional information that might help us in continuing the search for the rest of our family members in that branch?

Thank you so much.
Meggan