Author Topic: Norfolk to Wiltshire?  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Norfolk to Wiltshire?
« on: Monday 06 October 14 13:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks to excellent online records for Norfolk and visits to the NRO, I have been able to trace many of my Dublack/Duplack ancestors.

One eludes me - the baptism of my 6x great grandfather, Paston Dublack (who married Mary Ames in Norwich in 1765).

I have come across an anomaly that I can’t explain.

A baptism for a Pasten Dublack in Wiltshire, in 1739, father of the same name.

Searching across Freereg/Family Search/Ancestry etc., this is the one and only mention I could find of the Dublack surname in Wiltshire.

I would be grateful for any advice or suggestions.

Yorkslass

Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Norfolk to Wiltshire?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 October 14 14:14 BST (UK) »
Well not quite. We are now up to two. I found one solitary Dublack in Wiltshire other than the one you have. Edith M. Dublack married John Osmond, Westbury Reg. Dis. June Qtr, 1921.

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 October 14 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Barryd,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, Edith Marie Dublack is one of "mine" - she was born in Great Yarmouth .... but as her marriage was 200 years later, I didn't mention it in my previous post.

Yorkslass

Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 October 14 16:51 BST (UK) »
I don't think I can be as helpful to you as you have been to me since I started using Rootschat- but here are some thoughts anyway. It's such a distinctive name and the age would certainly fit with the marriage in Norwich. Is that the earliest Dublack record you have? Is it possible that Paston moved from Wiltshire to Norwich and the whole family descended from there?
Alternatively is there an occupation that would have taken Paston snr to Wiltshire and then home to Norfolk?  Farming perhaps- was he a farmer looking to increase his yields, buying livestock or seed? A lawyer, perhaps? Or a vicar maybe, working in another parish? Or even a labourer seeking work or perhaps he moved with an employer. An enormous journey in those days but not impossible, about 200 miles. People did move around if they had a reason to do so. Did Paston snr marry a Wiltshire girl -(which would be a reason for his child being born there) or did he travel there with his wife?
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline Toban

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 October 14 22:40 BST (UK) »
I see that the baptism was recorded as being in Wootton Bassett, Wilts. Have you considered an indexing error - there are two Woottons in Norfolk (North and South, both near King's Lynn). As with many instances of trees on ancestry having the wrong place of birth (because of the drop-down selection list of all the places in the world that have the same name) perhaps something similar happened here. Maybe there was only 'Wootton' on the original record that FamilySearch got their info from, and their indexing system (or maybe transcriber) automatically selected the first option that appeared - Wootton Bassett.  ??? Something to think about....

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 October 14 08:10 BST (UK) »
The batch number C15298-1 seems to be solely Wootton Bassett baptisms and the film number 1279358 Wootton Bassett and Hilmarton Wiltshire so I don't think the transcriber can be blamed. Presumably the batch consists of parish record books, with records sorted into alphabetical order for search purposes. Sadly none of the original records are available to view.
It's a good theory though!
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 October 14 11:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jan and Toban,

Yes, I too wondered about the Family Search entry being a mistake, but it seems correct.

Jan, I’ve seen how thorough you are in your research and you’ve helped many many people on Rootschat, so I’m grateful for your ideas.

Yes, it is an unusual name, and as you can imagine, open to mistranscription.
I’ve been searching for Paston’s baptism for years, it’s a real brick wall. 
Haven't found his burial either, which would give me a clearer date of his birth.

I was lucky enough to find a Marriage Bond for Paston Dublack (the younger) and Mary Ames, which shows his occupation as a bricklayer, aged 21 years and upwards.
All their children were born in Norwich between 1765 and 1779.

The only link that I can find between Norfolk and Wiltshire is the fact that a Mary Duplack, a single woman, made a will in 1745 which shows she was in the employ of Lord Abergavenny, whose wife was Lady Rebecca Herbert of Wilton in Wiltshire.

I was sort of hoping that this Mary could be Paston senior’s sister, and Paston was visiting her in Wiltshire, where his son was born in 1739, but it does seem a bit far fetched don’t you think  …… and she didn’t leave them anything in her Will!

Thanks again,
Yorkslass

Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 November 14 16:42 GMT (UK) »
"The only link that I can find between Norfolk and Wiltshire is the fact that a Mary Duplack, a single woman, made a will in 1745 which shows she was in the employ of Lord Abergavenny, whose wife was Lady Rebecca Herbert of Wilton in Wiltshire."
Is it possible that Paston senior was employed for a time by Mary Duplack's employer in Wiltshire. Perhaps he was also a bricklayer or other type of craftsman whose skills were in demand. The link between Mary and Paston-whether siblings or cousins seems a likely reason for Paston's being employed in Wiltshire for long enough for his son to be born there.
And maybe Mary thought she'd done Paston quite enough in getting him the job- so no need to remember him in her will!
(Sorry for the delayed reply -I've been away,babysitting the next generation!)
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 November 14 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Thank you for getting back to me.

It's good to hear you don't think it's an impossible scenario.

It seems the only explanation for the one person with the name Dublack (or any of the variants) to suddenly appear in Wiltshire in 1739 , and then seemingly disappear.

I just wish I could prove it  ::)

Thanks again,
Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire