Author Topic: LOCKHART and grasping at straws  (Read 8870 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LOCKHART and grasping at straws
« Reply #18 on: Friday 03 August 12 14:13 BST (UK) »
Janey, Black's Surnames, has the name Crevie/Crevey, curtailed forms of MacCrevie, and Clerie in Galloway. I don't see anything for Clezie etc'. Given that "Z" was the Scots letter "Yoch" and generally pronounced as "Y", how was it pronounced?

Skoosh.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 03 August 12 14:49 BST (UK) »
I have no clue! Seriously, if you read the other threads on this topic, the poster is looking for someone named Ellen Lockhart who married a Clezie/Crezie; our efforts have been directed toward finding her Lockhart family and have now focused on tracing a family consisting of the children of William Lockhart and Margaret Henderson, married in Scotland in 1811, with Margaret Lockhart subsequently marrying John Cloyd(e), apparently in NY state in the 1840s.

The Clezie family in question (George Clezie married Jean Lockie 1813, Berwick, Scotland) is really peripheral to the search; James Clezie is the man Ellen Lockhart married in NY state, but his family is all accounted for, backwards and forwards .;)

From what you say about pronunciation ... wouldn't it be funny if John Cloyd(e), who married Margaret Henderson Lockhart (hypothesized to be James Clezie's mother-in-law in NY state) was really a member of the Clezie/Crezie, er, "clan", himself! In fact heiserca alluded to just that possibility,
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,601912.msg4579515.html#msg4579515
there being an unaccounted for John Clazey who matches his details. My goodness, you have opened up whole new avenues for speculation!!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 03 August 12 15:01 BST (UK) »
 :)

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 06 August 12 09:13 BST (UK) »
Just to cast a spanner in the works - I have a  Lockhart ancestor who often used the name  Lockie.   Perhaps you should check on this spelling when checking the Scottish end.   (I have read the posts carefully and nothing ties up with my lot).
GM
Ayrshire: McCormick (mack); McFadzean; Kerr; Brown; Paton; McGregor; McDonald; Moffat; Connel; Bone
Dumfries/Lanarks: (pre-1840) McDonald; Moffat; Bone; Hamilton; Hyslop; Sandiland; Bredwood; Kerr; Brown
Ireland (pre-1820) McCormick (Monaghan)

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 11 August 12 06:25 BST (UK) »
i am related to grant and gillespie families in scotland. do you know if any of the henderson family were born with grant and gillespie roots in scotland.?

T.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 28 September 14 18:05 BST (UK) »
for info, now updated here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=595931

wherein heiserca entirely adopts the Lockhart-Cloyde hypothesis and the suggestion that Ellen was the daughter of William Lockhart and Margaret Henderson (later Margaret Cloyde) of Paisley.  :)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?