Author Topic: Essex Records Office - New accessions & charges 21 July 2014  (Read 6860 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Essex Records Office - New accessions & charges 21 July 2014
« on: Sunday 06 July 14 02:04 BST (UK) »
The ERO's July e-bulletin is out and contains news of new accessions from Navestock, the following are extracts from the bulletin.

New Accession: Navestock parish records

Navestock parish have recently deposited some parish records (Accession A13929) including marriage registers from 1837-1997 (catalogued as D/P 148/1/14-21).  The collection includes churchwardens’ expenditure accounts 1836-1928, school managers’ minutes 1867-1949, records of work carried out on the church building and records of charities in the parish 1863-1900.  The registers of services 1897-2004 include the report of the high explosive bomb and parachute mine which dropped beside the church on 21 September 1940, which caused extensive damage to the church and left a crater which can still be seen today (D/P 148/1/24).

Also the E-bulletin contained a list of revised prices.

Revised prices from 21 July 2014

Please note that the prices for some of our services will be changing from Monday 21st July, including charges for Essex Ancestors subscriptions. The new prices (including VAT) will be:

1 day - £5.00
1 week - £20.00
1 month - £30.00
6 months - £60.00
1 year - £85.00

Up until 21 July you will still be able to purchase subscriptions at the current rates.

The changes also include our self-service digital photography charges, which from the 21st will be £12 for the day. We are also introducing a reduced charge of £6 from 5.15pm-8.15pm on Monday evenings. 
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Essex Records Office - New accessions & charges 21 July 2014
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 July 14 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Findem
Apart from missing the dead line for the increase, and I could kick myself, can you tell me if all records are online now, marriage, baptism and burials please

regards

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 00:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Louisa Maud,

I really don't know, I've just been in to look for a list of what's deposited, digital and what's not but darned if I can find one.  In the past when I've wanted to know if a PR I'm interested in has been deposited or whether it's now digital, I just go to the first page of Essex Ancestors and bring up the parish in question.

I think the easiest way for you to find the answer to your question would be to email them and ask.

Regards.

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 05:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you Findem
I didn't want to pay the subscription to find what I wanted wasn't listed

Happy Hunting

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 23:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Findem
I didn't want to pay the subscription to find what I wanted wasn't listed

Happy Hunting

LM

Good thinking Louisa Maud I'm sure the ERO will know who holds the records you want and then perhaps sks will help you out.  :)

Regards.

Offline gifford2011

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 23:55 BST (UK) »
Such a shame they feel they should charge so much.
 :o
Dave

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 09:33 BST (UK) »
Such a shame they feel they should charge so much.
 :o
Dave

Considering the images are full colour scans of the original registers rather than greyscale scans of the microfilm which most other sites have (although some more colour images are starting to appear), not really.  Yes they could have got one of the subscription sites to host them, but as had been said before on RC, ERO make more money running their own site rather than "outsourcing" to another company such as ancestry or FindMyPast.

In any case, its all relative to how much it would cost any particular person to actually go to the ERO and view the registers there.  I know for one, for the cost of a yearly subscription compared to a 4.5 hour car journey (each way), it's a no brainer. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 10:20 BST (UK) »
While I'm glad I made such intensive use of the ERO before the price increase, I don't think the charges are excessive when you consider the quality of the scans and the huge amount of work that must have gone into producing them. I don't know of any other county producing such a comprehensive resource, so it is difficult to make comparisons.

You don't need a subscription to see which registers are available, but the individual records are not indexed.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline gifford2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 16:54 BST (UK) »

A yearly subscription on top of other subs all adds up and makes it unaffordable. (The bankers had my pension) The colour of the scan is not important. You could order a colour scan if needed. Plus there is NO index which may have justified the costs.
Tis a good job eg Ancestry do not charge per county. (Ancestry is free at most libraries.)
Yes, agreed can use the excuse that it costs more for a trip there, but in this modern day n age we do not need to.  Thank goodness other counties do not feel the same way.  Just seems to be the trend now to make as much money as possible. Am sure if the yearly/half yearly subs were lowered they would make a lot more money!
Hopefully freereg will get in there soon.... ;D