Author Topic: Cotton Mills  (Read 2624 times)

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Cotton Mills
« on: Sunday 05 December 10 11:57 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother her father and sister were cotton mill workers.  They lived in Hulme and on  William Mather's (father) wedding certificate his job was a Braid Overlooker in Braid Mill.  On 1911 Census my grandmother and her sister Sarah Jane and Maria's jobs were Bobbin Winders.  I've searched records but can't find a 'Braid Mill'.  Would anyone know if this was an actual mill or just a mill that made braid?  I'd love to find out which mill they worked in. :)
McMullen, Gleave, Kelly, Scholes, Mather, Phillips, Lock

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cotton Mills
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 December 10 12:09 GMT (UK) »
You may find some information here:

http://www.spinningtheweb.org.uk/

I can't immediately see anything about braid mills, but it may be buried amongst all the other info  ;)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 December 10 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks but already searched this site!

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Gt Grandmother-Margaret Dickenson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 December 10 12:35 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother her father and sister were cotton mill workers.  They lived in Hulme and on  William Mather's (father) wedding certificate his job was a Braid Overlooker in Braid Mill.  On 1911 Census my grandmother and her sister Sarah Jane and Maria's jobs were Bobbin Winders.  I've searched records but can't find a 'Braid Mill'.  Would anyone know if this was an actual mill or just a mill that made braid?  I'd love to find out which mill they worked in. :)

In my tree I have quite a few ancestors who worked in the cotton mills around Manchester/Salford/Preston.
Quite a few of them were described as braid tenters.May I suggest your ancestor was a sort of supervisor in the part of the mill where this process took place.It may well be that the dept.of the mill where the braid tenters worked was called the Braid Mill.
Around the Hulme area of Manchester there were lots of cotton mills.The River Irwell divides the 2 cities of Manchester & Salford & Hulme is just across the river from Salford so cotton workers could have travelled to work in any of these mills.I too have tried to find which of the mills my ancestors worked in ,with no success.
The nearest conclusion I came to was that as my Gt Grandfather who was a overlooker lived in Sunnyside St.he possibly worked at the Sunnyside Mill.
Hope you can get further with you search.
Have you enquired via the Manchester Archive Dept & also The Salford Archive Dept.
If you haven't I think you will find they are very helpful

Regards
Betty
Lancashire- Moss,Broadbent,Olley,Dobson,Dickenson,
Norfolk-Olley,Knowles,Bunn,Pooley,Scott,Vince
Caithness & Dumfries - Evans,Sinclair,Mackay
Belfast-Antrim - Mackay,Connor,Bunting
Liverpool,Wigan & Southport - Ball,Taylor
Isle of Man - Harp,Dougherty
Cheshire - Dickenson
Knighton,Radnorshire - Evans, Broadhurst
Caithness - Sinclair

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 December 10 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for your help  Betty.  I haven't tried the Archive Depts so I will go there next. :)

Offline sandraglab

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 October 14 16:43 BST (UK) »
Dear Ladies

I'm working on a radio documentary about Manchester's history. I am looking for people who are willing to speak about their ancestors who worked in a cotton mill in Manchester.  If you yourself do not want to participate, I would appreciate if you could maybe advice me of where to look.

all the best
Sandra