Author Topic: Donagheidee, Ireland  (Read 11052 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Donagheidee, Ireland
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 14 September 14 14:14 BST (UK) »
whitefang1990, that's a huge number of names to have researched.  :o 

But forgive me, I'm having a senior moment here, if you worked back - which is the only way - why would your whole family tree be wrong on the basis of the two you have mentioned? I'm just curious.

I was thinking the same as gaffy and am now even more puzzled by your response but perhaps I've mis-understoood your reply-
Hi

Thank you for responses, as regards to my concern for my family tree, I was given those dates by another source that was given to by my Great Aunt and already I have found mistakes written. So if I find anymore I would have to go back through my whole tree to work out the dates if you understand me.

Do you mean that you've taken the 'research' of others and aren't going to check out the details (even though you've found mistakes so far)?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 September 14 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire Louise  i didnt read aghadowey latest which you must attend too.  My reply was to be
For a summary of early Morelands I used http://www.irishtimes.com then the Ancestor section which gives a map and a summary
also has variation spelling

Moreland households in each county in the Primary Valuation property survey of 1847-64.Click on a county name for a parish breakdown of the number of households, and an all-Ireland parish map (paying).
Antrim    8   Armagh    1
Belfast city    19   Down    51
Limerick    1   Tipperary    2
Tyrone    1
You can also look up the following Variants and total numbers.
Click to see county numbers.
SURNAME
TOTAL
Moorland   2
Moreland   83
Morlan   5
Morland   7

Murland households in each county in the Primary Valuation property survey of 1847-64.Click on a county name for a parish breakdown of the number of households, and an all-Ireland parish map (paying).
Down    19   Dublin city    1

In irish the name is spelt Ó Murghaláin to continue that SURNAME DICTIONARY/ SLOINNTE NA h-EIREANN
Murland:   rare: Down etc. Ir. Ó/Mac Murghaláin (sea-valour). Woulfe thinks it may be Scottish; there is also the English name Moreland, q.v.,in the same area.
Ó Murghaláin:   Murland: annamh: an Dún & rl. Tá an sloinne Sasanach, Moreland, ann agus ní féidir bheith cinnte nach bhfuil meascadh annso. Brí: tugann de Bhulbh: muir + gal .i. neart mara. Féach Ó Murghaile.

The Oxford Names Companion suggests the Moreland name is borders Scottish and N England.

Ancestry much more focused gives as one quick look
NAME:   David Moreland
SPOUSE:   Mary Smith  also a Nancy Smith
BIRTH:   1670 - Scotland
DEATH:   Ireland
NAME:   David Moreland
SPOUSE:    Nancy Smith
BIRTH:   1670 - Scotland
DEATH:   Ireland
I have to stop now
Good luck forwards
JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 18:42 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I'm still not getting this, I feel like the odd one out! :)

If you are working back in time (are you?) and confirming records as you go, finding a generation where the detail doesn't 'fit' shouldn't invalidate all the detail for the succeeding generations that you have already researched.  ???

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 18:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I'm still not getting this, I feel like the odd one out!  :)

If you are working back in time (are you?) and confirming records as you go, finding a generation where the detail doesn't 'fit' shouldn't invalidate all the detail for the succeeding generations that you have already researched.  ???

I'm just as confused about this as you are, gaffy  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!