Author Topic: MAXWELL,MCGIFFERT,WARNOCK  (Read 16809 times)

Offline merrymax

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McGIFFERT Co Down
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 August 11 04:51 BST (UK) »
thank you jim will check out the griffiths valuation    regards   merry

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 August 11 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi merry.  I managed to find an old griffith list of graceys and found a Thomas gracey in Ballyweird and ballyfounder, both in ballytrustan civil parish, possible all the same person as tenant and landlord. Interesting stuff! good luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline merrymax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 August 11 01:22 BST (UK) »
jim I thank you for your posts. this is what I have on the gracey line. this was sent to me 25 years ago by a person in portaferry,I cant say the name as I respect the policy that protects the privacy of living.

william thomas mcgiffert had a son james mcgiffert whos daughter married a mr gracey ,that person then had a daughter named joan gracey who was a cousin of mr jogn mcgiffert who is now passed away some years ago , it was this john mcgiffert who deposited the mcgiffert letters in PRONI. that is all I know about the gracey connection

was also on a website that has wonderful information re portaferry and have managed to glean quite a bit of information from.
along with the wills callenders  I have been able to pick out names and dates from immigrants letters. you probably already have the web address but will include it anyway .

http://ied.dippam.ac.uk/records/53566     great reading regards  merry

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 August 11 09:34 BST (UK) »
thank you Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline merrymax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 August 11 11:39 BST (UK) »
thanks for the update jim   regards  merry

Offline Baba1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 September 11 15:53 BST (UK) »
The Local Studies Heritage Gallery in Downpatrick Library has a copy of a book entitled "The McGiffert Letters". Letters written to David McGiffert (b.1823 - d.1900) by his brother William and various other family letters.
You can contact the Heritage Gallery by email: localstudies.down[at]librariesni.org.uk

Offline merrymax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 September 11 00:46 BST (UK) »
 :)thank you so much. I have contacted PRONI re those letters some time ago but sadly they are very expensive to copy and send to australia. I will certainly have a try with the connection you sent me as I have an excerpt of one of the letters written my Isabella mcgiffert abput  her sister elizabeth mcgiffert/maxwell  my gggrandmother . I sabella was a cousin of David mcgiffert and the wrote many times.

this post has greatly helped my research and I am very grateful for your suggestion and will email now     thank you    merry   

Offline Wintertime

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 October 11 04:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

New peice of work for me and I dont have a lot to start with!

Looking for a Mary McGiffert, from County Down. She married John Cleland, they had two boys, Joseph (1836) and Robert (1835). Would guess Mary and John would have married 1825 - 1835, therefore Mary could have be born 1800 - 1810, all guess work!

Can anybody assist ?

Many thanks
Tom
Winter, Honeybun, Tiplady, Wright, Allen, Stapleton, Jefford, Ashby, Cleland, Vickers, Bowden, Pearson, new Zealand, Kent, Dorset, Yorkshire

Offline merrymax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 October 11 06:21 BST (UK) »
hi tom!  I do have mary mcgiffert co down but not sure if she was married .I will check my records. any thing else on this family? town? siblings?   will try to help if I can  merry