Author Topic: The family of Nathan Warner of Trimley St Martin  (Read 2809 times)

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The family of Nathan Warner of Trimley St Martin
« on: Wednesday 12 February 14 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Some background

Last year I met a couple (from Australia) at the Archives at Canterbury Cathedral.  They were researching their family from the Whitstable area.  Basically the hunt started at the marriage of John Nathaniel Warner to Eliza Jane Nicholls in 1886 at Blean Registry Office.  Copy to hand.  Although the name Warner is common in and around Whitstable, it turned out that John Nathaniel (according to the 1901 census) came from Ipswich in Suffolk.

As well as helping as helping them on the Nicholls Ancestry we have now turned to researching John Nathaniel Warner’s pedigree.  After various blind alleys we have reached the conclusion that John Nathaniel was baptised in Trimley St Martin and registered as Nathan Warner.  He was born on 13 December 1847 to Daniel Warner and Sarah formerly Wink; Daniel was a Labourer.

Thus far we believe the following to be Nathan’s family:-

Father – Daniel Warner born 18 December 1814 at Trimley St Martin
Mother – Sarah Wink born 22 March 1822 at Kirton
Married 14 October 1844 at Trimley St Martin (1)

Paternal grandfather – John Warner born 1781 Trimley St Mary
Paternal grandmother – Mary Harsum born 8 December 1778 Parham
Married 10 January 1808 Trimley St Martin

Maternal grandfather – James Wink born 28 August 1786 Falkenham (2)
Maternal grandmother – Elizabeth Taylor, probably born after 18 Jan 1793, place unknown. (2)
Married 18 January 1814 at Walton

(1) Marriage Certificate in hand so father’s names are known.
(2) From Family Trees, as found, however none are supported with any source information.
(3) The marriage detail from 1814 as transcribed has note with parents consent, thus it is likely that Elizabeth was not aged 21 at that time.

All the above information has been obtained online from transcriptions apart from the marriage as noted (1) and the birth as noted (2)

Having the paternal GPs birth details the GGPs names are known but until sources are confirmed I would not wish to proceed further.  Those names are John Warner and Jemima (Abbott?) Daniel Harsum and Sarah (Read?) ???

Thus, the questions are can any kind person confirm the details apart from note (1) and provide guidance on any further ancestry. 

Any help would be really appreciated.

Tony :)

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The family of Nathan Warner of Trimley St Martin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony, I've looked up one or two of the above for you, hopefully I've read your request properly  ???

Taken from Parham parish register

Mary d/o Daniel and Sarah Harsum baptised 8th December 1778

Also some siblings:
Daniel November 30th 1779
Alice 6th August 1781
George 12th January 1783

Daniel Harsum of the parish of Parham and Sarah Rede of the same parish were married by licence 29th September 1778
He signed his name, she signed X
In presence of Mary Harsum and John Sheppard (both signed)

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Taken from Trimley St Martin parish register

John Warner bachelor OTP and Mary Harsum OTP spinster
Married by banns 10th January 1808
Both signed X
In presence of John Warner snr (X) and James Fenn

John Warner of the parish of Trimley St Mary singleman
Jemima Abbott OTP singlewoman
Married by banns 16th March 1780
Both signed X
In presence of Thomas Finch, James Parsons (X)

John s/o John and Jemima Warner baptised 29th July 1781 at Trimley St Martin

Jemima Abbott d/o Samuel and Jemima his wife baptised 17th December 1758 at Trimley St Martin

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you annes, :)

Just got back from Canterbury Cathedral Archives.  Managed to put another link in the chain on the Nicholls side; thanks to a Will. ;D

You have got exactly what I want, confirmation from a reading of the original registers or films thereof.  I have seen so many errors in transcriptions that I always want to see the records or have a record of someone (an independent third party, so to speak) having read them.  That will do fine for me at this time; not sure what J & G will want when they come over in June, maybe they will fancy a trip to Ipswich or another Suffolk Archive. ???

I suspect the searching will get more difficult from now on. ???

If ever I can be of help on East Kent Archives (Canterbury Diocese) I am always willing to help. 8)

Best wishes,
Tony :) :)

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello again annes,

Just been putting the information, from you, into my bd and one thing I noticed was the baptism of Jemima Abbott.  Are you able to confirm the year as 1758?  I would have thought 1785 a more reasonable one but anything is possible! ???

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony :)

Your friends would be well advised to contact the Felixstowe Family History Society: http://www.itgen.co.uk/ffhs/

A lovely bunch of people.  I used to live in Trimley, although I have no Suffolk roots.  The churches of Trimley St Martin and Trimley St Mary stand in one shared churchyard on the boundary between the two villages, and Walton church is a few minutes away on the High Road to Felixstowe.  They could visit all three in a day, and still have time for Kirton ;D

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol, :)

Thanks for that and the Link.  I shall see what they want to do, after all it is not far from here through the Dartford Tunnel.  Mind you where I live (Broadstairs) once round the North Foreland, Crow and Fly spring to mind! ::)

Tony 8)

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony
I've had another look at my notes and have definitely written 1758.  Bearing in mind this would have made her 22 when she married John Warner in 1780  :D

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi annes,

My apologies for doubting you. :-[

I have read your posting again and wiped what I had recorded earlier and will re-enter it tomorrow, when I hope to be awake! ???

I left Canterbury early when I found myself nodding off at the reader.  Not a late night but an early (very early) morning! ::)

Thanks again for all your help.