Author Topic: William & John Limmer, Tuddenham Saint Mary  (Read 2818 times)

Offline maudarby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William & John Limmer, Tuddenham Saint Mary
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 April 14 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Windy
Thank you so much for all the extra info. I started our Limmer research over 20 years ago & when I found out that my cousin was also researching I passed on most of my findings to him. In 2000 I visited Tuddenham & was given the name of lady in the village who was a local historian. She sent me lots of info about the Limmers & their involvement with the mills. I remember contacting her again & querying the Thomas Limmer who supposedly took out insurance on the mill/s. I have just found a card from her in my paperwork in which she says 'I confess that the mill info including Thomas Limmer owner of the mill in 1788 was passed on to me by a member of the Suffolk Mills Group & I haven't verified it'.
So it seems we don 't have a mystery man & somewhere along the line William morphed into Thomas.

We don't think John Limmer (the son) continued as a miller. He married at Mildenhall in 1816 & the last reference we have found for him is in 1821, a farmer at Wilde St, Holywell Row, Mildenhall when all his livestock, farming equipment etc are to be put up for auction. The reason given ' he is declining business'. We don't know when he died; his wife (widow) died in London in 1840.
I will pass all your info on to my cousin.
Many thanks
Maudarby

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William & John Limmer, Tuddenham Saint Mary
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 April 14 21:02 BST (UK) »
Glad to help & thanks for your info.
Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers