Author Topic: 1911 Scotland census - SUGAR occupations  (Read 1850 times)

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
1911 Scotland census - SUGAR occupations
« on: Tuesday 02 December 14 18:33 GMT (UK) »
ScotlandsPeople has not transcribed/indexed the occupations on the 1911 census. As there is no alternative source, I have no way of doing a 'sugar' keyword/occupation search in order to extract those people working in the sugar industry in Scotland in 1911, as I have done for earlier censuses.

It's likely that the vast majority of workers would have been in Greenock, and I'm wondering if folks may be able to help me, please, by transcribing and posting here, or emailing via 'contact' on my website, the 1911 census details of any sugar workers they might stumble across in the course of their own research. I will then add them to my website's database.

I'm determined to at least try to complete all the UK censuses and I'm afraid this appears the only way to approach this one. May I thank you in advance for your help.

Bryan.

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers - www.mawer.clara.net/intro.html
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Scotland census - SUGAR occupations
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 19:10 GMT (UK) »
sugarbakers, your website is quite something...amazing really  :)

As an aside on material you have, have you come across this film from the Scottish Screen Archives

http://ssa.nls.uk/film/5152

Also, great photo here from WW1 and women manning the business www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/sep/21/kate-adie-fighting-home-front

Would these archives hold employee records etc? www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_60317_en.pdf

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Scotland census - SUGAR occupations
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Monica ... two snippets, both new to me ... I'll add the links to the website. Much appreciated.

Regarding the GUAS refs. I doubt they'd include employee lists ... I've not found any yet. (eg: Fairrie's of Liverpool, "Resolved that the books and documents of the Company and of the Liquidator thereof be retained by the said Liquidator, he undertaking to have them destroyed at the dissolution of the Company.")
Macfie's was another family firm that Tate & Lyle swallowed up. There's a Macfie collection in Liverpool Archives as well but I couldn't get to see that when I last visited, although there are no employee lists recorded in the catalogue.

Bryan
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017