Author Topic: Christopher Kleine Sugar Baker/Maker  (Read 1500 times)

Offline freya

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christopher Kleine Sugar Baker/Maker
« on: Thursday 18 December 14 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have a possible ancestor called Christopher Kleine/Kline/Cline   who was a Sugar Baker. I have found several references to a man of this name who was in the employ of the Hunter family in Ayr in 1773 when his daughter Charlotte was born. Mother being noted as Margaret Frog! Charlotte  appears to have been married to Robert Coldstream in South Leith on 25 June 1799.

Does anyone have any further details of any of the above? I have a Christopher in London earlier than this. He was a Sugar Baker, married twice, lastly to a Mary Giradet who was widow having been born Mary (maybe Marg) Froggatt. This makes me wonder if Christopher is the man who went to Ayr. (i.e  "Frog" being short for Froggatt or just shorthand for "French"!)

Any help appreciated.
Skeats around Ringwood Hants, Skeats in Wiltshire, Skeats around Cranborne Dorset, Skeats North Bucks, Skeats/Skeates in Canada, Skeats/Skeates in New York state
Watson Helmdon, Northants and Stantonbury, Bucks
Cline, Hammersmith

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher Kleine Sugar Baker/Maker
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 December 14 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Freya ,

Just to note http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ has a Christopher Klein , date 26th Oct. 1801 , Testament dative & Inventory , merchant , Burntisland.
Burntisland is on the opposite side of the Firth of Fourth to South Leith.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline freya

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 December 14 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. I will have a look at the records on Scotlandspeople.
Skeats around Ringwood Hants, Skeats in Wiltshire, Skeats around Cranborne Dorset, Skeats North Bucks, Skeats/Skeates in Canada, Skeats/Skeates in New York state
Cline, Hammersmith

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 December 14 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Also a record of Charlotte Klein , wife of Robert Coldstream merchant in Leith 3rd Sept. 1802 in the
Wills and Testament section.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 December 14 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Freya ... I assume one reference for your info is ...

http://southayrshirehistory.wordpress.com/2013/08/05/enterprise-and-refinement-james-hunter-and-the-ayr-sugar-house/

I've a little more on the Ayr sugarhouse at  www.mawer.clara.net/loc-ayr.html  but nothing further yet on Christopher Kleine. I'll now go and hunt for the London connection   :) . Thank you for the prompt.

Bryan

Added ...

Have added entries for the marriage bond and the marriage of Christopher Klein & Ann Macdonnall to the database, but can't yet find the Giradet marriage - perhaps you can help, please.
The witness to the (first) marriage was Johann Wernick also a sugarbaker.

The Ayr sugarhouse was not built until 1772/3. Word would have got to London that a new house was opening and that one or two (that's all) skilled men would be needed ... I have to wonder if the fact that Christopher was married to Ann Macdonnall played any part in him getting a job in Scotland  ;)

There is evidence from the same period that the skilled men were indeed recruited in London ... the sugarhouse in Canongate, Edinburgh (Sugarhouse Close is still there) required a new man in 1765, and the records show that Peter Saat arrived on foot from South Shields where his ship put in owing to bad weather (102 miles).
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline freya

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 December 14 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Mary Froggatt married Marcellin Giradett on 2nd May 1756 at St Pauls Covent Garden. I found the registers (I think) in Internet Archive. Witnesses were Chr Klern and Mary Smith. I believe the latter was Christopher Klein. Cant find this anywhere else. Thanks for all your work on this.

Ps the mystery is what happened to the 2 children of the marriage.
Cline, Hammersmith

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 December 14 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Freya ... I have to agree with you - it looks possible, but there's no proof of the connections.

Have the Girardett/Froggatt marriage 1756, but only transcript, no image of register, so no occupation (if it is there at all).
Have the two child baptisms, but again no occupation. Both addresses show Tash Street, north of Holborn along Gray's Inn Lane. There was one, maybe up to four, sugarhouses in Holborn at that time but we can't link Marcellin to them (and therefore a possible connection to Christopher).
No burials showing for the children, nor for Ann wife of Christopher, nor for Marcellin.

No will for Marcellin at TNA, is there one for Christopher in Scotland ?

Bryan
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline freya

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 December 14 22:20 GMT (UK) »
There is a Scottish will for Christopher, however it mentions only the daughter Charlotte  by Mary Frog christened in Ayr, her husband Robert Coldstream merchant of Leith, and their granddaughter Charlotte Colstream born about when her mother Charlotte (nee Klein) died.

As you say, there are no apparent records at all other than those we have discussed. No way currently of checking if the 2 Christophers are the same men even though they are both sugar bakers. It looks likely but......

I will keep digging. I will post again if I come up with anything.
Cline, Hammersmith