Author Topic: SHIPPING LISTS 1901-1908  (Read 6396 times)

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
SHIPPING LISTS 1901-1908
« on: Wednesday 16 March 05 12:52 GMT (UK) »
My Great Aunt, Ada Elizabeth ROBERTS migrated to Canada between 1901-1908, and then to the USA. I have searched the shipping list from UK to Canada for that period without success. Unfortunately I don't know her destination. She was married in Canada (no trace). Then entered USA with her husband in 1908. Found all of her details after that time.
Is there anywhere in the UK that can provide details of people leaving the Country? Maybe I can attack it from that end.
Any suggestions/assistance, much appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob Roberts. Adelaide, South Aus.
Roberts - Kent/Middx. Trow/Harris - Surrey. Johnston -Scotland, Lanarkshire, Barony (Glasgow). Brown - Buckinghamshire. Beale - Middx/Surrey. Hardwick - East London/Essex. Lambert - Norfolk/East London. Reddekopp - USA. Prescott - Berkshire/Ireland/Lincolnshire <br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SHIPPING LISTS 1901-1908
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,

Welcome to RootsChat !

I found this link to the National Archives:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/familyhistory/migration/step1.htm

some excerpts:

Emigration to the Americas, Australia, Africa, India (and perhaps Europe and the Mediterranean):
The Catalogue:   Ships' passenger lists exist only for the period 1890-1960.
Ideally, you need to know the date and port of sailing, and the name of the ship. If you don't have these details, you can still look, but you may have to spend a long time searching. There is no name index.
The lists are held in record series BT 27  (link)
Research guides: Ships' passenger lists, 1878-1960 (link)

The second link gives a lot of information about which records are kept where.

Hope this helps,
(another) Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bob,
Thanks for the welcome. Will have a go at that. No idea where she sailed from, as she was living in Middlesex, guess it would be Southampton or Tilbury (if it was operating in those days).
Regards,
Bob
Roberts - Kent/Middx. Trow/Harris - Surrey. Johnston -Scotland, Lanarkshire, Barony (Glasgow). Brown - Buckinghamshire. Beale - Middx/Surrey. Hardwick - East London/Essex. Lambert - Norfolk/East London. Reddekopp - USA. Prescott - Berkshire/Ireland/Lincolnshire <br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 02:19 GMT (UK) »
reviving this as there is more information available, but first can you let us know if you've found out more previously....
and also what year she was born as there were several Ada and one Ada E....They may even find the marriage now, as I saw one on "A"...but then you seem to know more, but hadn't stated the name of the husband...J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi J J,
I haven’t had much luck since 2005.
Ada Elizabeth was born in 1877 in Reading, Berkshire (although in later US Census it was registered as 1886 and 1887. Family sources say she altered her birth date to enable her to get a husband).
She was married to David E Reddekopp in Canada. A note written by her daughter was pretty hard to decypher, but it looked like the marriage was at  ‘Swift Current’ Saskatchewan. There were Reddekopp in the area, but couldn’t find a David E.
Regards,
Bob.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Oh, Phooey....Sask hasn't their marriages online yet...
However he may have been married before as there are 2 births for a David Redekopp and an Anne Heibert...a  Heinrich & a Nettie...  born Tiefengrund / Laird
a also for a father Gerhard Redekopp who might be a brother...child born Tiefengrund

https://www.isc.ca/VitalStatistics/Genealogy/vsgs_srch.aspx
keep checking as they will add the marriages once the deaths are done...

I am sure someone will get her on a passenger list for you, though......
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Gerhard buried here..birth on stone is 1880...no David listed here or in Tiefengrund cemetery, not that is proves that this was the same David...but just in case...
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~skmhss/laird.html

I forgot to check the spelling with the double "d"...I see there were REDDEKOPP in Osler as well...( which is closer to Laird...) Swift Current is further South in the Province...There was a Russian Mennonite Colony in Tiefengrund which seems to no longer be found on maps but was near Laird.

Did your David end up in Mexico? 

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 November 08 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Should have told you that David, Ada and children are all buried in Idaho,
Woodlawn Cemetery, St Maries, Benewah County. 1920 and 1930 Census state David born in Oregon. Parents in Russia Found one David in Oregon, but not him.
Reddekopp 2 D's and P's.
Haven't heard any reference to Mexico at all.
Thanks for your trouble, will keep an eye on shipping lists.
Bob.

Offline LesleyG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 December 08 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,

Not sure if he's yours, but there is a David Reddekopp on the Canada/US Border Crossings.  April 1909 he was going to Dallas, Oregon from Waldeck, Saskatchewan (near Swift Current).  He is listed as 23yrs old, single, Labourer, Canadian citizen, German descent, no relatives remaining in Canada.

Lesley