Author Topic: ethel may Lloyd  (Read 19991 times)

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ethel may Lloyd
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi MelLavoie

According to a Census I saw, John and Rose Lloyd along with Beatrice Irene and John Edger were in the Hereford Workhouse.

Susan

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 21:57 BST (UK) »
According to the 1911 Canada/Ontario census Ethel believed her birth date to be Dec 1898. Kath appears to have more in as she has it as Dec.17 1898
Was she perhaps living with an aunt or uncle for a great deal of her childhood in England? ...It seems a likely truth, as it is odd she is happy to go by the surname Reid. She does not remember the names of parents nor of siblings, only of an aunt and an uncle. This is unusual in older homechildren, but more the case in the very young ones...although goodness knows the trauma must have caused a great deal of confusion for all of them.  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 18 September 14 01:03 BST (UK) »
FYI for those looking in...
This is likely the Morton family with whom Ethel lived after the Langs http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=140077
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=54086&highlight=32
John Brown Morton & Mary Jane Chapman
Her husband had died in 1912 so perhaps she was assigned as a helper for Mary....Mary died May 3 1917 Hastings, Ontario, Canada
Here's more I found online re: Mary, she deserves some highlighting as she was good to Ethel!
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=cdn-kemp&id=I19194
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline kaycee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 18 September 14 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Mel and others also researching Ethel May. I met up with Margaret yesterday. She is a niece of Ethel May and is the mother-in-law of our son, Richard. She, of course, is very, very excited to hear about you all. You have quite a few relatives here in the UK. I would like to ask, does anyone know how we can contact via email, without putting our addresses on this site. Are any of you on the Genes Reunited site? Margaret is happy to share information but would rather not do it on an "open" site. (Margaret is the daughter of the late John Henry born 1908. There was also a sister, Beatrice Irene born 1910).
I look forward to hearing from you. (Margaret does not have a computer, and I am a near 80 rather computer illiterate, so please bear with me.
Kath Coley (in Herefordshire UK)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 18 September 14 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hello kaycee  :).

You can use the Personal Message system here on RootsChat to exchange emails. Click on the little circle below the person's name that looks like it has a scroll or page in it.

Kbh1 would need to make one more post to use the system....three posts are generally required to access the PM system. Just saying "Hi" would suffice.

This is such a heartwarming thread. How wonderful that you have found each other!

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline kaycee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 18 September 14 16:05 BST (UK) »
Ethel May was not found on a doorstep and her mother was only 16 when she had her. Her father was a coal man. He had a horse and cart and used to go to the Rhonda valley to collect coal. He was, unfortunately, kicked by the horse and suffered severe injury. This is why the family had to go into the Workhouse. (Incidentally, the Workhouse that was is now part of the County hospital in Hereford. It has a lovely old Chapel called St. Guthlac). There were only the three children and we do not know why the long time between births. John Edgar only discovered a few months before his death that he had a sister and tried to find her. He died in 1985 and there was not the help available then to research.
Look forward to hearing more about the Canadian side.
Kath Coley (on behalf of Margaret Rutt (nee Lloyd)

Offline kaycee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 18 September 14 16:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you Polar Bear. Have done as you suggested. Will see how we get on. Wonderful site. Taken a long time to "find" her, but very impressed.
Kath Coley

Offline MelLavoie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 18 September 14 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Kaycee

Thank you for posting again and wow ain't this somthin. We got us sum relatives on the udder side of the pond we neber knew of.
I am going to use the private message system and send my email address as well as my facebook link.

For the benefit of other people reading this thread, I'd like you to know that Ethel's ancestry has been looked into by people before. No-one has been able to find the connection to her past in the UK. We have known the frustration of hitting a dead end for a lot of years. Last year I searched through one census after another all over the UK using the LDS site, Ancestry and others. I was able to find her in the Canadian census but no further back in time than when she landed here in 1909. My hunt for her records was for an Ethel May Reid or Reed that was born in the UK. Last summer I spent hours every day on my computer and writing down records in a book. There were at least three women helping me search. They were members of the British Home Children Advocacy Group in Canada. Needless to say my notebook starting to fill page after page with possibilities and now when I see it sitting here in front of me ...I see pages and pages of notes that are all roads to dead ends.

We grew up knowing Ethel's last name was Reid and nothing else. In my search last summer the closest possibility I found was an Ethel born near Newcastle on Thyme. In the end I gave up looking as all possibilities were all too quickly becoming dead ends and Ethel May Reid could not be found. The only place left to turn to Barnardos and it was my understanding they wanted to be paid to release birth records. I'm retired and on a limited income and I simply can not afford their costs of about $150.00 Canadian. After searching for about six weeks I had to give up. All roads led to dead ends and I could not afford Barnardo's fees.

It was then realized by Karen and myself that Barnardos offer basic records for free to Canadians and Australians but, you had to be a direct living descendant of the person being searched. My youngest brother Keith and his twin sister Annette were following my research. We were warned that many other people had tried to search for these records but no-one found any success as record searches led to dead ends.
Doug Holden in Kamloops and his wife aunt Bea sent Annette a copy of Ethel's birth certificate to my sister who sent me a copy of it. At that time I had a copy of her death certificate. I knew when she came to Canada and about the Lang family and the Morton family in Canada. Using family memories and census records I was able to learn some things about her life in Canada. I started a family tree an My Heritage and it has over 250 people on the tree. I reached the limit as a free member. In time Karen turned to Charles Holden, (her father in-law and my uncle) Ethel's son to send to Barnardo's for birth records. It was only then we learned Ethel Reid was in fact Ethel May Reed Lloyd from Hereford UK.

Now we learn we have relatives in the UK that may be able to add to our record search....wow !!

I did a search and stumbled upon this thread and there was Ethel May Reid/Lloyd and she wasn't a Geordie after all. From half way round the world searching, there in the UK not that far from Hereford in Aldershot UK lives relatives to Ethel May Reed Lloyd. The little girl that carried her mother's maiden name at birth due to her parents not being married when she was born. If a young girl of 15 years old was experiencing life and learning then it makes sense some people could judge and brand her as being an unfit parent. 

Thank you Karen for your help and yup after all these years Ethel May Reid did come from the UK !!
Please bear with me ...lol ...sorry Barnardo no cash coming from us we don't need you...sorry :P  we master the helm of our own ship from here on in ;)

Offline MelLavoie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 18 September 14 17:36 BST (UK) »
From Mel in Canada
Hi !!