Author Topic: John McNicol m Ann Leitch 1854  (Read 38157 times)

Offline doninoz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John McNicol m Ann Leitch 1854
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am not sure how old this chat is but I stumbled onto it whilst trying to find my Grandmothers burial records.

I have the old family bible that belonged to John McNicol.

He wrote his birth at Glenorchy October 31 1834
His Wife Anne Leitch born September 29 1832 at Glenorchy.

He married Anne on 30th October 1854.

Children:

Christina - Born 22nd December 1855 
Finley      - Born 1 February 1857
Archibald - Born 29th May 1859
Agnes     - Born 5th August 1861 / Died 2nd October 1862
Agnes     - Born 28th July 1863
John       - Born 25th October 1866 / Died 24th July 1889
Donald   - Born 18th March 1868 (My Grandfather) / Died 18th June 1930
Christina- Born 17th April 1870
Hugh Duncan - Born 2nd May 1872

(He lived with my Grandmother, Father and Uncle Alfred on our family farm until he died on September 7th 1959).

The family of Donald and Margaret Jane (nee Newton) lived at Costerfield for a few years after Donald died. Their Children Were John, Alfred, Donald, Jesse and Maggie.

The boys cut timber (sleepers mostly) and quarried gravel for Vic Roads.

In 1946 (or thereabouts) my Father and his brother Alfred bought a dairy farm in Koyuga Victoria. My Grandmather moved with them. My Father (Donald) married my mother Joyce Govett in 1948 and I was firstborn 1949. I have a brother and a sister.

I hope this can help. I have uploaded photos of the family bible records onto the following website for your interest.

http://www.sydneynaturally.com.au/geneology.htm

Regards

Don (Donald) McNicol

Offline doninoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 15:27 BST (UK) »
My Mum was a McNicol - daughter of Donald, who was a son of John and Ann.

I have very little info on this side of the family. However, I have seen the letter you refer to, and my Bendigo cousins have a copy of the marriage certificate which they transcribed for me.

I did manage to send you a PM including my email address, as that seems to be better at handling attachments.

Are you connected to the McNicol family too?

Giuliana

Hi, I know who this is...Give me a call cousin. I have posted photos out of the old family bible on my website at  http://www.sydneynaturally.com.au/geneology.htm

I also posted here in this thread details about your mums family.

Regards

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 August 10 01:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks heaps for the famiy Bible images! I've been looking for them for years!

I've responded to your PM.   G
Phillips; Mitchell; Retallick; Moore; Sheridan; Sheppard; Louden; McNicol; Leitch; Newton; Newell; McClure; Sheridan; Loffel; Chaplin

Offline FMcnicol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 23:25 BST (UK) »
It is more likely to be Catnish.  If you look up Glenorchy on the old-maps website

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html

Catnish is surrounded by Arrivain (usually spelt Arivean) and Arichastlich and Achnafalnich.  All three of these farms had McNicols as tenant farmers in them at them at one time.

My husbands family are McNicols with several generations of John McNicols all from Glenorchy.  I am still trying to work out how all the McNicol families are connected.

I'll let you know if I find the connection,

Fiona McNicol

The closest I can see for Ann in the 1841 census with a slightly earlier birth year is this entry - everyone showing as born in the County:

Archibald Leitch 50, agr. lab.
Hugh Leitch 20
Mary Leitch 20
Janet Leitch 14
Ann Leitch 12
Archibald Leitch 7
Duncan Leitch 55, mariner
Allan McNicol 45, agr. lab

Address: Catush, Glenorchy Argyll

Again, in 1851, I can only see one Ann showing as born in Glenorchy, likely to be the Ann above as she shows as born c. 1829. She is working as a domestic servant away from home.

Monica

Offline FMcnicol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 23:46 BST (UK) »
This monumental inscription from Glenorchy Kirk, Dalmally may be of interest to you

192  (C5)
Erected by
ANN + CHRISTINE McNICOL
In Loving Memory of Their Parents
FINLAY McNICOL of Clifton
Who Died 15th March 1863 Aged 74
     And ANN McNICOL His Wife
Who Died 7th December 1858 Aged 65
And of Their Family
DONALD Who Died in Glasgow 12th February 1866 Aged 38
JOHN Who Died in Australia 24th July 1891 Aged 57
DUNCAN Who Died in Dunblane 4th December 1892 Aged 64
CHRISTINA McNICOL Died 12th August 1895 Aged 64

Fiona

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona,

Fantastic to have you join this discussion. Thanks for the info you've provided already. I look forward to your future contributions too, as it sounds like you're much more closer to the action than we in Australia are.

When I try to bring all the bits of info together, there is some confusion, some of which is summarised here:

John and Ann's Family Bible shows John born Glenorchy, Argyllshire, as does his death record (info provided by son Finley), but his headstone (erected by widow Ann, also born Glenorchy per Family Bible) shows him as "late of Perthshire" - so I've concluded that he was born in Argyllshire but lived in Perthshire at some point prior to emigration, whether with his family or after "leaving home".  

John and Ann were married in Glasgow in 1854, just a month or two before emigrating, but I can't definitely identify either of them in the 1851 census, much less the 1841 census. John's death record shows his parents' names as Hugh McNicol and Christina unknown (I can't find any census matches, presuming both parents are alive and the family is together), and later Ann's death record shows both of her parents as unknown (no help for census purposes).

The Family Bible shows John born 1834 and Ann born 1832, though the IGI Marriage Index shows the reverse: John born 1832 and Ann born 1834, but there are no obvious matching entries in the IGI Births Index.

It would be fantastic to move past this "brick wall" at my great-grandparents level! I've gone back so many more generations on other branches of my tree, but this one has me stumped. (I know, I should be grateful I'm not a Smith, right?  ;) )

Looking forward to any help you can provide.

Regards,

Giuliana
Phillips; Mitchell; Retallick; Moore; Sheridan; Sheppard; Louden; McNicol; Leitch; Newton; Newell; McClure; Sheridan; Loffel; Chaplin

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 23:52 BST (UK) »
This monumental inscription from Glenorchy Kirk, Dalmally may be of interest to you

192  (C5)
Erected by
ANN + CHRISTINE McNICOL
In Loving Memory of Their Parents
FINLAY McNICOL of Clifton
Who Died 15th March 1863 Aged 74
     And ANN McNICOL His Wife
Who Died 7th December 1858 Aged 65
And of Their Family
DONALD Who Died in Glasgow 12th February 1866 Aged 38
JOHN Who Died in Australia 24th July 1891 Aged 57
DUNCAN Who Died in Dunblane 4th December 1892 Aged 64
CHRISTINA McNICOL Died 12th August 1895 Aged 64

Fiona

Interesting???  That's WONDERFUL!!!  It looks to me like the missing link I've been seeking re parents' names which ties in to census data etc. etc.   It goes along with my guess of a father Finley (based on naming patterns) and all the names of siblings fit.  This is VERY exciting!  THANKYOU! (I want to rush out and book a trip to Scotland!)

G

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 00:16 BST (UK) »
In the England BDMs there's a John (oops) Finlay McNicol who died in Liverpool, Lancashire, England in Mar 1863. I wonder if that's our John (oops) Finlay ?

In 1861 there was a John McKenzie, brother-in-law, with Finlay (widowed) in Clifton. Assuming Finlay married to Ann McKenzie (rather than a sister of Finlay marrying John McKenzie), which is supported by records, it would make sense for Finlay to be with John McKenzie in Liverpool at the time of Finlay's death, and the memorial doesn't preclude this possibility.

Am I missing anything in this deduction?

G

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 04:48 BST (UK) »
I have just found that there is a history of the MacNicol family in Argyll spread over 18 pages in 2 issues of the newsletter of the Glasgow and West of Scotland Family History Society, the coverage suggesting that it must be a substantial history:

MacNicol ancestry The MacNicols of Argyll - Part One by Duncan Beaton 81.13-22
MacNicol ancestry The MacNicols of Argyll - Part two by Duncan Beaton 82.17-24

Issue: 81
Year: 2008
Period: SPRING  (pages 13-22)

Issue: 82
Year: 2008
Period: SUMMER (pages 17-24)

If anyone has these issues or can access them at the Society's Library (which I presume is in Glasgow), it would be fantastic if the content could be shared.  If you need me to provide my email address so an attachment can be emailed to me, please send me a Personal Message.

Giuliana