Author Topic: Rev Duncan McIntyre of Kilmallie  (Read 15963 times)

Offline millmerrin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rev Duncan McIntyre of Kilmallie
« on: Wednesday 22 February 12 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello.
I am a descendant of Rev Duncan McIntyre (MacIntyre), 1757 - 1830 Minister of Kilmallie Church, Lochaber. He had 15 children, the 13th born being Duncan Alexander McIntyre who emigrated in 1836 to Australia and was accidentally shot at Queanbeyan NSW aged 28. Duncan Alexander being my G G G Grandfather.

I visited Fort William from Australia in 2011 to continue my research into Rev Duncan and located his headstone in the Kilmallie Church Yard.  Also I visited Kilmonovaig nearby, and located the headstone of his 1st Born Son, the Rev John McIntyre Minister of Kilmonovaig 1794 - 1870.

What I am seeking and wondering if any one can help, is that I would dearly love some Photos of Rev McIntyre, although I realise he died in 1830.  Were photographic images common at that time?  (excuse my ignorance on this one)  Or possibly of his son Rev John McIntyre.  The only Photos I have of Rev Duncan's descendants is back to my Grandfather, Kenneth McDonald McIntyre.

So if anyone could advise on this topic I would greatly appreciate.  Thanks in anticipation from Australia. .

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Rev Duncan McIntyre of Kilmallie
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 March 12 06:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Did you look inside the church?I do know that the Old Parish Church in the town in Scotland my ancestors are from has pictures of all past ministers up on the wall and they are really old.
                                                                                                                                Norma   

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 March 12 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hello

Apologies - but no idea about the photographic side, but I take it you've a copy of Reverend Duncan McIntyres will? (3 pages)  If not, it is avalable for £5.00 from the govt website at:  www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  , free to regisiter then use the 'cart' system for the will.

MCINTYRE    DUNCAN ,REVEREND   28/03/1831   MINISTER OF KILMALLIE       DUNOON SHERIFF COURT   SC51/32/3

There is also a 5 page will available for his son John.

MACINTYRE   JOHN, REV.   06/12/1870   L.L.D. MINISTER OF THE PARISH OF KILMONIVAIG       INVERNESS SHERIFF COURT   SC29/4

Regards,   Steve  :)   

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 March 12 10:16 BST (UK) »
Did you try the museum?

http://www.westhighlandmuseum.org.uk/about/

And I'm no expert in these things either, but rather than a photo, you may find an engraving.

And have you searched this site for futher info on him?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,94559.0.html

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 March 12 10:47 BST (UK) »
1830 is too early for photographs of people as the exposures needed were too long (about 8 hours) but you could ask the church if they have a portrait of him. As normamac said it's quite common for churches to have portraits/photos of former ministers, though they may be in the vestry rather than on view in the main part of the church.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline millmerrin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 11:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much to you kind people who have submitted advice on this issue.  I am now in a better position to continue on my research. I will post my progress in due course.

I did go into the Church but no Portraits like was suggested,  However, I might write  to the present Minister re this  matter.   Rob McIntyre

Offline Jaykim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 April 12 23:21 BST (UK) »
I am just connecting your family to mine and as soon as I get my head around where we actually connect I will be in touch.  Please reply if you are interested.
Jaykim

Offline millmerrin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 April 12 14:05 BST (UK) »
Am most interested.  Hope to hear from you soon.  Regards,   Rob

Offline Jaykim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 April 12 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob

Bear with me as I try and explain where our trees join.  We are not blood relations but our trees do connect.  if you interested in delving further into this connection just let me know.

I am going to be giving you the relevant information only.

Captain Andrew Thomson marries Barbara Hamilton and they have at least 5 children:

Jane Thomson born 1 Nov 1791
Richard Marten Thomson born 7 Apr 1799
Andrew Thomson born 15 Apr 1790
Reverand Robert Burns Thomson born 29 June 1804
Gavin Thomson

The above Rev Robert Burns Thomson marries Williamina Gillon and they have at least 5 children
Charlotte Thomson
Barbara Jane Hamilton Thomson
Eliza Scott Thomson
Robert Thomson
Williamina Catherine Clerk Thomson

The above Eliza Scott Thomson born 7 Feb 1849, died 8 July 1923 marries Rev John Walker MacIntyre on 24 June 1868. John Walker MacIntyre born  10 Jan 1794, died 29 June 1870 is the son of Duncan McIntyre born 22 June 1754, died 12 Aug 1830 and Jean McIntyre born about 1772 (Your line)

The above Barbara Jane Hamilton Thomson (born 23 May 1846, died 9 Dec 1931) marries Rev David Strong (born 20 Oct 1840, died 25 Jun 1923) on 14 Apr 1868

Going back to the above Jane Thomson born 1 nov 1791 she marries Gavin Alston born ? died 15 May 1820. Gavin Alston was a Writer to the Signet. They married on 8 Aug 1817 and had a son John Alston born 16 Oct 1818.  John Alston marries Elizabeth Motherwell Dec 1839 and they have at least 10 children. Their eldest child Andrew Thomson Alston (born 17 Jun 1855, died 12 Oct 1938) marries Georgina Watts Cowie born (30 Jun 1863 died 27 apr 1935) on 14 Aug 1889.  I am still researching so I still have dates to fill in.

Georgina Watts Cowie is my 2nd cousin 4 times removed!

So as you can see our link is very complicated!! However, it has lead to many of hours of research and Georgina's family is linked to the Watts family, a family of coal exporters and ship owners based in England. My direct line is the Cowie family and they were mostly coal or iron miners in Scotland.  They just married very well!!!

If you are interested in delving into the above family let me know and we can start sharing information.

Regards
Jaykim