Author Topic: Alexander Love ship-master campbeltown  (Read 8424 times)

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Love ship-master campbeltown
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 April 13 17:22 BST (UK) »
The other Alexander 68 in 1792 at 5 Back Street had the following children listed (no Alexander but he would have been old enough to be away at sea)  No wife listed so I presume deceased.

Archibald 18
John 16
James 14
Betty Love 20 (could be a child of Alex or wife of a son)

same address

Archibald 36
Nancy McMillan 30
Cathrine 12
John 8

No 6 Back Street
John Love 42
Mary McMurchy 38
James 18
Ann 16
John 14
Mary 12
Archibald 2
Daniel McMurchy 5
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 April 13 17:27 BST (UK) »
The other 2 Archibald Love's are as follows

65 Kirk Street
Archibald Love 73
Janet Sheddan 48

same address

Archibald Love 21
Margaret McIlchattan 26

Offline parklove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 April 13 22:05 BST (UK) »
My reading of the shipmasters tombstone is

Died MDCCCXLIX           1849               

AGED LXXXVI                82 YEARS

That suggests birth in 1767.

With that birth date he would have been 25 in 1792 for the Dukes Property List.

I have no hard data for his older brother John or the younger Archibald.Their existence is based on transcribed oral family history from the 1930s

The dates for Alexander seaman at Backstreet in the 1841 census suggest birthdate 1761 (1841-80=1761).

Perhaps his age was rounded up or perhaps a guess at the age of the old bloke in the other flat !!

Is it possible to find out who was living at Loch Sanish in 1792 from the Dukes list?

Seaman Alexander's father Fo Choise died there 10 years later and was visited by his family there around 1800-1802.

The Kirk street Archibald s have good looking ages.The younger 21 at the time his possible older brother (Alexander) would have been 25.

The older Archibald at 73 suggests birth date  1719  (1792-73 =1719) .
This is about right for our birth date for Fo Choise (Assumed John).
Thanks again  Ian

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 April 13 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hmm  I make "AGED LXXXVI"  equal to 86 (V1 =5 plus one) so that would suggest a year of birth 1763? so would be 29(ish) in Dukes census.

Re the 1841 official census data quite possibly he was listed as 80 but could have been anything over that but under 85 and it depends who gave the enumerator the details and whether they knew his age.  Anyway there weren't all that many people back then who had accurately recorded (church records) ages/dob so keep your mind open at this stage.

Re Loch Sanish (Machrihanish as is now) was that the name of the croft/farm, was it the name of the settlement (village) he lived near?  According to Canmore "In 1790 the drainage of the former Loch Sanish revealed what was probably a logboat; it does not appear to survive." which would explain the elder Love's removal to Cambeltown.  It looks like the Duke was "improving" his land making bigger farms etc. there's evidence of incoming farmers from Ayrshire in the early 1800's elsewhere on this board.  However I digress, there is no John listed in the book of an age which matches your data the oldest being the John I listed in my first post.  I'll check other first names/ages.  Do you have an age at death for the father who died in 1803?

Had you thought about asking a Gaelic speaker on here for the possible translated name of " Fo Choise"?

Offline BAML

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
Dear Parklove,

I am a descendant of Alexander Love who lived in Back Street Campbeltown, and I wonder if you have been able to find out any more about the family since this post?

In the 1841 Census, the younger Alexander Love referred to as 'linen draper' had a son called William Macnaughton Love, born 1834.  His daughter Ellen Love was my paternal grandmother, whose married name was Lang.  William died in Campbeltown in 1924.

Alexander's other sons, Duncan Love and Donald Campbell Love (born after the 1841 census) moved to Melbourne Australia where they ran a business called M'Naughton Love & Co, together with their mother's brother who was called M'Naughton or Macnaughton.  Donald or Duncan had a son called Alex Love who died in Melbourne in 1912, but I have been unable to trace any Loves in Australia after that.  I would be grateful for any information you may have on the Loves in Australia?

Thanks

Beverley

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 23:10 BST (UK) »
Excellent website,   http://www.kintyreforum.com/

Skoosh.

Offline Elizabeth Reeves

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 25 May 23 11:40 BST (UK) »
HI BAML (Beverley)
I'm new to this site and am also descended from Alexander as my Great grandfather was Donald Campbell Love, brother of your Great grandfather William McNaughton Love.

I'm wondering if you have discovered any more information since 2014?
I haven't noticed any information on John's (Fo Chois) wife, which would be nice to know - but not having any daughters means there is no clue as a starting point.
Fo Chois - gaelic nickname he was known as since Culloden. Meaning apparently "the ghost" or 'keep it dark" or as we might say "mum's the word" and as a Jacobite & 'rebel' he lay low afterwards & away from his old home near Inverary and the name stuck.

You are correct, Donald had a son Alexander who died in 1912 and was unmarried.
Donald & Duncan's descendants are mostly in Australia (as I am) but as the generations continue are more scattered.

What information do you have of other Love descendants from John & Archibald - Alexander's brothers?

Cheers
Elizabeth