Author Topic: Sinclair's of Balindore, Taynuilt  (Read 4112 times)

Offline boop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sinclair's of Balindore, Taynuilt
« on: Friday 29 November 13 23:29 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help. I have a Peter Sinclair living at Achnameadhonach, Balindore, Taynult on the 1841 census but on the 1851 census his wife Ann is a widow. I have searched for where he might be buried but can't find him. I have searched Muckairn Churchyard and records, Pennyfeur Cemetery, Ardchattan Cemetery and Oban but can find no burial for him or his wife who died in the 1860s. Does anyone have anymore suggestions where I could try.

Offline Dippy Daisies

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Sinclair's of Balindore, Taynuilt
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 January 14 09:46 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help. I have a Peter Sinclair living at Achnameadhonach, Balindore, Taynult on the 1841 census but on the 1851 census his wife Ann is a widow. I have searched for where he might be buried but can't find him. I have searched Muckairn Churchyard and records, Pennyfeur Cemetery, Ardchattan Cemetery and Oban but can find no burial for him or his wife who died in the 1860s. Does anyone have anymore suggestions where I could try.

We seem to have an overlap and some confusion over this because I am researching the Campbell line (via Ancestry.co.uk) and believed Ann the woodcutter's widow at Balindore (born in Inishail) was married to a Campbell but could not find a proper record, the mystery deepens but I will now investigate to see if I have gone astray somehow :o

If it is the same Ann then she had moved to Glasgow by 1861 with her two sons who joined the police, by this time she was 63

Have been thinking for some time the only answer maybe a trip to cemetery with a camera to see if I can trace the woodcutter

Offline boop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 January 14 23:01 GMT (UK) »
My Sinclair family lived at Balindore from 1800. Peter Sinclair married Ann Campbell. Her parents were Donald Campbell and Mary McIntyre (I think they originated in Lismore). Peter and Ann's son Archibald was my g,g,grandfather (she was also referred to as Nanny Campbell). I know her husband Peter the woodcutter died between 1841 and 1851 but cannot find a death or a burial anywhere. Ann died at Balindore in 1868, her son Donald registered the death and he then took over the running of the croft. If you check the 1871 census for Donald Sinclair at Balindore you will see his brothers and sisters still living at the croft. Look forward to hearing if you think this is your family. I have visited the croft.

Offline motherof3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 March 14 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my Sinclair family is also from Balindore/ Achnameadhonach/ Taynuilt. My G.Grandfather was James Sinclair B. 1859 Muckairn. His parents were Archibald and Sarah nee Cuningham. He lived at Achnameadhonach which I believe is a croft. He was also a kilt maker/ tailor and was well known in Taynuilt. I have a photo of one of his daughters taken at Balindore which I believe is just down the lane from Achnameadhonach. Perhaps your G.G. Grandad Archibald was my G.Grandads' father.

Offline boop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 March 14 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I sent you a personal message but am not sure if it was sent. Could you let me know. thanks.

Offline boop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 March 14 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Motherof3 I have been trying to contact you via Personal Message but I don't think they are going through.

Offline SMCampbell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 February 20 22:39 GMT (UK) »
My Campbell lineage goes back to woodcutters from Balindore and Muckairn.  My 5TH great grandparents were Alexander and Sarah Campbell from Balindore. Their children were John, Dugald, Alexander, Nanny (Ann), Angus, and Arhchibald from Muckairn.