Author Topic: HARMER/FULLER family Sussex  (Read 1726 times)

Offline skyedoug

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HARMER/FULLER family Sussex
« on: Saturday 16 August 14 05:55 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am just starting to research my family from Battle, Sussex. From what I can gather, my gg g/mother was Harriett Rosina Harmer/Fuller b:1863 and traveled to Australia on board the 'Lochee' ship from Plymouth in 1883. I don't yet have her birth certificate. I am unsure of her father until I manage to get her birth certificate, but given that she has taken her mother's maiden name that information might not be available. Her mother was Ellen Augusta Harmer, who then married John Fuller in 1883 and the family is listed in the 1871 census with her two children (and his stepchildren) James and Harriet. The information I have is that Ellen's parents were named Mary Turner and Robert Carey Harmer. I haven't been able to confirm any of this and just wondered if there is anyone who may have any information that may help. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Skye

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HARMER/FULLER family Sussex
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 August 14 07:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Skye,

Harriet Rosina Harmer was born 22 Jun 1863 in (what looks like it could be) the Battle Union Workhouse and baptised 2 Aug 1863 at St Mary's Church in  Battle. She was the baseborn child of Ellen Harmer, fathers name not recorded in the SFHG transcript.

Regards
Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 August 14 07:41 BST (UK) »
Looks like there might have been a sister Anne Harmer baptised 10 Apr 1861 at St Mary's, again no named father.
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 August 14 07:50 BST (UK) »
Your thoughts about the parents of Ellen Augusta Harmer look to be correct, she was baptised 8 Sep 1839 at St Peter's Church in Ashburnham, parents Robert & Mary.
It might be worth paying £11-13 for a Sussex Family History Group subscription if you are going to follow this family as they have a database of Burials and Baptisms for Sussex.

Regards
Sean

Offline skyedoug

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 August 14 08:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sean
Yes I have that she had a sister named Ann who died at age 2, then her brother James and herself. Does baseborn mean born out of wedlock? I have been busily searching and I have now ordered her birth certificate and that of her mother (I hope), so maybe there might be some more info there. I will check out the SFHG membership, it might be a good investment!
I am wondering now how she would have raised the fee to pay to Australia at age 20. Any thoughts on this? She arrived in Australia in May 1883 and married in November that same year in Sydney.
Thanks again :)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 August 14 09:40 BST (UK) »
Baseborn will mean out of wedlock.

From 1833 there were assisted emigrations to Australia whereby they were given free passage and grants of land if they were willing to settle there. There are records at The National Archives and i think you may be able to find some Australian indexes online, if I remember where i will post it.

Sean

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 August 14 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you seen the List of Immigrants for the Lochee (the ship Harriet arrived on) on Ancestry?  It states that she has family in Australia and also makes a comment about her complaining about something (to do with her health?) during the passage.

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 August 14 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi skye

You might also find the Harmer Family Association website useful.  http://www.harmer.org/

I think it is still £5 to join and for that you get the Harmer family tree pages relevant to you sent.

I am descended from Harriet's brother James and have a tree that takes the family back to the 1500s.  If you are interested send me a private message and I will let you have the password to my tribal pages tree.

Best wishes

Kerryb
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline skyedoug

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 August 14 04:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sean.
Liz - I will check that out on Ancestry. I have just got a subscription for them :)
Kerryb - Thanks for contacting me. I have sent you a pm :)