Author Topic: Parkers in Shoreham?  (Read 7614 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Parkers in Shoreham?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 August 14 00:56 BST (UK) »
The marriage cert shows that Albert was an ex-sergeant major in the Royal Field Artillery.  Marriage was a registry office one -  witnesses were Thomas W Dyball & May Read
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline JohnLFC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 August 14 01:05 BST (UK) »
I never thought about the witnesses, just assuming they were local Londoners part of the temporary accommodation rather than close friends of either? Hmmm.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 August 14 01:35 BST (UK) »
There are a lot of WW1 records plus Medal Roll index cards for Albert Parker in the RFA.  Do you have subscription access to Ancestry or FindMyPast as it would mean going through them all to see if one was a Sgt Major
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 August 14 17:52 BST (UK) »
I decided to check out one of the witnesses - Thomas Dyball in the hope he also served in the RFA.  I found a Medal Roll index card for him but he was with the Machine Gun Corps & also the King's Royal Rifle Corps

His WW1 service record has survived and he was born around 1896 in Croydon Surrey so no clues there

Offline JohnLFC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 August 14 12:29 BST (UK) »
There are a lot of WW1 records plus Medal Roll index cards for Albert Parker in the RFA.  Do you have subscription access to Ancestry or FindMyPast as it would mean going through them all to see if one was a Sgt Major
I'm a member of Ancestry Carole, my cousin has Albert's army discharge papers. How do you think it could assist tracing them?
Thank you again.

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 August 14 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

"I have a mystery gt grandfather called Thomas Parker who appears on my grandfathers (Albert) wedding certificate.

The father's first appearance is on a child's wedding certificate and there's a cloudy family history.
These are hallmarks of birth to an unwed mother.  Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case here. 

Jann.

Offline JohnLFC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 August 14 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

"I have a mystery gt grandfather called Thomas Parker who appears on my grandfathers (Albert) wedding certificate.

The father's first appearance is on a child's wedding certificate and there's a cloudy family history.
These are hallmarks of birth to an unwed mother.  Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case here. 

Jann.
Hi  :) Who did your Albert marry Jann?

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hello to all,

I have read the previous posts and wondered what information exists to link the family to Shoreham on Sea. Also, what dates this shows them as living there?

It may be possible to find some details on the family, or clues at least, by searching the street, or trade, directories for Shoreham for the years in question. I may be able to assist with this search.

What evidence exists to indicate there was a change of name? Was it something concrete, or because they cannot be found on census returns etc?

Jo.

Offline JohnLFC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo
We don't have any concrete evidence except the certainty of my elder family members that they were from Shoreham. The name change theory comes from my uncle (Alberts son) once suggesting he thinks somebody changed their name. There is nothing firm on a census of those two living in Sussex, and because we don't know if there are other siblings or Alberts mothers name we can't make a definite link to a Thomas or Albert living together outside of that area (like London).
The wedding cert is dated 1921 indicating Thomas was already deceased. Another uncle made notes that he thinks Thomas served in the Hussars between 1862 & 1883 but www.soldiersofthequeen.com  advise me they can't find any records of him so perhaps he, not Albert changed the name.
Albert was born in 1883. We don't have any street names.
I can email you Alberts wedding cert if you want.
Let me know if you need anything else Jo, if you can help I'll be indebted forever :)