Author Topic: McSorley Family 1846-1855  (Read 5689 times)

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McSorley Family 1846-1855
« on: Wednesday 25 December 13 23:34 GMT (UK) »
The McSorleys lived in the Campsie and Killyclogher area of Omagh during the mid to late 1800s. They were married and died in Cappagh Parish. All searches I have carried out have revealed nothing but strangely McSorleys in Termonmaguirk are showing up with unusual similarities. They were James 1847 Bernard 1858 Jane 1846 Annie 1858 and Bridget 1850. They feature in Census Records living in Campsie and Market Street but I can't find their roots?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McSorley Family 1846-1855
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 December 13 00:02 GMT (UK) »
You trace the family just like you would any other. If you posted links to the census records you've found then in it would help us find information or suggest where you could search next.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 December 13 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, here are links to the census records where I have located them...

James McSorley family http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Omagh_Town/Campsil_Road/1746666/
His bother and sister Bernard and Jane
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Omagh_Town/Market_Street/1746714/
and cousins Patrick and Mary
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Omagh/Mullaghmore/1746535/

They were a wealthy family having held a lot of property and land in omagh area. They traded as publicans, grocers and hardware merchants. Patrick and Mary were farmers.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 December 13 11:56 GMT (UK) »
A few more questions-

What else do you have besides census records to make the connections between these families? I can see that Patrick & Mary are siblings, Bernard & Jane are siblings but the census doesn't connect James as a sibling of Bernard & Jane or them cousins to Patrick & Mary.

What do you mean by "All searches I have carried out have revealed nothing but strangely McSorleys in Termonmaguirk are showing up with unusual similarities."?
What similarities? what searches?

Have you checked Patrick's Will? "Probate of the Will with one Codicil of Patrick McSorley late of Mullaghmore County Tyrone Retired Carpenter who died 4 July 1921 granted at Londonderry to Anne Daly Married Woman and Patrick Rock Medical Doctor Effects £1997 1s. 2d."
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 December 13 12:36 GMT (UK) »
In the Obituary of Bridget Rabbitt d. 1908 it stated that she died at the residence of her nephew Patrick McSorley. The deceased was also an aunt of Bernard and James. They are all buried together in Killyclogher in one family plot and one living relative has confirmed their status. James and Bernards father was Patrick, mothers name Mary. When I carry out searches on Roots Ireland none of these people are listed for Cappagh but strangely there are McSorleys listed in Termonmaguirk. Their parents are also Patrick and Mary, though birth dates vary.  The similarities are the names appear and the parents are the same too.

AS for Patrick Rock MD., his mother was Bridget McSorley - sister of either James or his cousin Patrick. My feeling is she was a brother of James as they all lived in Campsie together while Patrick was a farmer in Mullaghmore area of Omagh.

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 December 13 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Just spent 2 hours going through Obituary Notices in Ulster Herald newspapers from 1921 in Local History section of library. I can confirm that Patrick McSorley was indeed a brother of both James and Bernard McSorley, and not a cousin as posted previously. There is a good possibility they came from the Mullaghmore area of Omagh, which now is accepted as being Killyclogher. My thoughts are that the family originally were farmers here, with some family members moving to the Campsie area of Omagh to trade.

Offline Vita Brevis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony

what a surreal moment I have just experienced ... I have just been doing some research on a family member when I came across this record on emerald ancestors for a John who was born on 28/05/1868 to a James and Anne maiden name McSORLEY at Irvinestown, Irvinestown   Fermanagh / Tyrone.  It may not be anything but it you never know, hope it helps with the distrubution of the name at least.  VB   

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 January 14 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Just back from day at PRONI. Couldn't find one single entry for McSorley births in the Cappagh Parish records from 1845 onwards. I'm convinced that they may have moved into the area from another parish since their marriages and deaths all took place in Cappagh.

Vita, thanks for your post. Anne McSorley on my tree married james Daley in Cappagh Parish. Both from Tyrone.

Offline Vita Brevis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 January 14 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Tony, that is so disappointing for you.  Like i said, its interesting that there was an Anne in Ivirnestone in 1868, perhaps it may be wise to start searching some of the cemetery records for McSorley in Tyrone.  I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if I find anything ... My Anne didn't marry a Daley, but they were farmers