Author Topic: Symes  (Read 10049 times)

Offline pyromancer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Symes
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 08 January 12 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi B.E

Thank you for the information about Loscombe/Netherbury.  I knew that Loscombe came under the parish of Powerstock but didn't know that it would have been listed as Netherbury. 

I have come across a couple of records from Netherbury that looked promising but discounted them.  I will go back to Netherbury and have another look.

Many thanks 

Offline thorinfan

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 January 14 19:21 GMT (UK) »
hi there, I am new to this site and I see that you have been researching the Symes line, in particualr, John Symes and his wife Elizabeth Pitman. I hope that you are still researching them! I am the 6x great grand daughter of John and Elizabeth, and have some information on them if you are still interested. I think that you may be able to contact me directly, so please feel free and I will share the info with you! I am hoping to get up to the Dorchester records office soon to try and go beyond 1731 in Powerstock, so I will let you know if I discover anything else1
regards,

Offline tnorbury

• RootsChat Member
  • A growing family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 24 March 16 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Poorstock was the proper name of the place. When the railway company decided to build their line from Maiden Newton to Bridport Harbour they insisted on Poorstock being changed to Powerstock and Bridport Harbour to West Bay in order to make it all sound a bit sexier. The line was opened in 1857 and I think the changes occurred in 1860.

Thank you for this information. I had been using Powerstock in my tree!
CHICK, CHUBB, CLOTHIER, GALE, DOBLE, PIDGEON, GLOYNES