Author Topic: ring hurd  (Read 15643 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ring hurd
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 February 14 16:57 GMT (UK) »
just found on line book on history of Wincanton. Several references to Hurd

https://archive.org/details/historyofwincant00swee

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 February 14 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry has a reference to an apprenticeship (might be the one you mentioned earlier). As I don't have sub for ancestry I can only see limited info. The payment date is 16 Jan 1797. the other name mentioned is James Easton of Salisbury. Ring would be abt 14 or 15 then which would be typical age to be apprenticed. Presumably apprenticed to James Easton.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 28 February 14 06:11 GMT (UK) »
Yup.  Thanks; but got that.  What I need are references to his family - which seem to be emerging.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 28 February 14 08:50 GMT (UK) »
As suggested on the other thread, why not have a free introduction to Ancestry so you can see the Will of Phillip? Or wait till they have a free offer.  He mentions his children including Ring, and then you would have something definite to work on.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 28 February 14 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Going back to one of Ring's marriages where Harriet Hurd was a witness. I've found a Harriet Hurd in 1851. She was visiting the Marsden family in St Pancras district. The birthplace is Shaftesbury  - so another relative. Her age is 30 so born abt 1821, but no sign of a baptism about then on Shaftesbury PRs on the dorsetopc site. Age may not be accurate as she is a visitor in a household and may not have been asked when head filled in form. When age is a round number (apart from 1841) it might be suspect.

Also googled James Easton printer salisbury, a few references to him and a son with same name. Some references involve his political activities, so possibly quite influential. 

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 28 February 14 11:16 GMT (UK) »
More on Harriet:

Tracked her through a few censuses, she never marries and is a librarian in Shaftesbury for several years. In 1871, she is living with Letitia Hall at the School where Letitia is schoolmistress. (This Letitia matches with baptism for Letitia Dorothy Hall 19 Jan 1845 daughter of John and Letitia nee Hurd). Harriet is listed as Letitia's aunt. Therefore making her another of James's children.

So a witness at Ring's third marriage looks like one of James's children, so if Ring and James are brothers, Harriet would be Ring's niece.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 28 February 14 11:33 GMT (UK) »
And so the child's brother married his mother's aunt...

Seriously, it's fascinating, isn't it?  And thanks so much for your time and trouble.  A real picture of Ring Hurd is beginning to emerge. 

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 28 February 14 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Ha, ha!
It often seems like that with so much recycling of names.

In the Wincanton book I mentioned in an earlier post, there is a reference to a man with surname Ring, so possibly a Miss Ring married a Mr Hurd at some stage.

Might be a good idea to post a look up request on Somerset board to see if anyone can find baptism of Ring and James or marriage of Philip.

And link to this thread so you don't get duplication.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 28 February 14 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Good idea.  I'd actually spotted 'Ring' and did wonder if there was a connection.  Nice to know tha somebody else had the same thought.  Ring, after all, is such an uncommon name.  I wonder, too, if Patience Hurd's son, Philip,might just have been the product of a previous union since his middle name is given as 'Price'.

I think, overall, that we have a picture of the Hurd clan as living somewhere towards the bottom of the social scale - 'weaver' is respectable enough but 'hawker' just isn't (vital, mind, as a lead in my areas of research).  But, then, James - a surgeon?  Doesn't 'fit' yet.

Many printers - tho' not all, of course - were up and down the bankruptcy scales.  Hurd, mind, looks to have had a pretty steady life.

Of your other findings, I knew of Harriet Hurd but not of her visit to London...Still, there were several Hurds living there contemporaneously to Ring Hurd.

So one proceeds - somehow.  I may muster enough to try Ancestry again; but my domestic disasters (mechanical, not life-threatening) stuffed up finances for a good long while.  Hey-ho.

roly