Author Topic: Flora Cottages, Parr St, Newtown, Exeter  (Read 3244 times)

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Flora Cottages, Parr St, Newtown, Exeter
« on: Sunday 02 March 14 14:03 GMT (UK) »
I have in my possession a sepia photograph of a seated elderly lady (she has white hair) and only know that she is called Mrs Couch.

On the back of the photograph there is written:
"To Mr & Mrs Eccles - (that's my great grandparents)
With love for the New Year
From Mrs Couch"

Also written on the back of the photograph is an address: No 8 Flora Cottages, Parr Street, Newtown, Exeter.

It is thought that this lady may have been a Governess or Nanny to the youngest child in the Eccles family who was born in 1890.

My great-grandmother died in 1911 and my great-grandfather in 1928 - so it has to be before 1911.

I would like to find out more about this lady - any suggestions how to go about it please?

Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Flora Cottages, Parr St, Newtown, Exeter
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 March 14 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked up the Eccles family on the 1891 and 1901 censuses to see if "Mrs Couch" is in their household

Just an observation

If she was an employee - I wouldn't have thought she would sign a card "with love".  Also - unless she was a widow in 1890 it's doubtful she would have been a live in nanny/governess although perhaps her husband was also employed by them

FindMyPast have address search on census entries for 1891/1901 but the terms & conditions of membership prohibit posting of that type of info from their website
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 March 14 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi CaroleW,
Thank you for responding to my query.

In answer to your question - no, a Mrs Couch has never appeared on any Census for the Eccles family.  Nor has a Mr Couch.

I did have a brainwave after posting my message and on the 1901 Census living in Exeter there are three ladies who could easily be the Mrs Couch I am looking for:-
Amelia COUCH aged 62 - Born 1839 and who died in Exeter 1901
Elizabeth COUCH aged 69 - Born 1832 and who died in Exeter 1905
Maria COUCH aged 81 - Born 1820 and who died in Exeter 1903.

Yes, I agree that an employee wouldn't send a personal photograph and sign it "With love" - on the other hand why send a photo, with love, and then sign "Mrs Couch" rather than for example: Mary Couch or just Mary.

Tiz all a bit of a mystery ...

Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 March 14 17:19 GMT (UK) »
on the other hand why send a photo, with love, and then sign "Mrs Couch" rather than for example: Mary Couch or just Mary.

Good point.  Mind you - they were very formal back then.  My late mother in law would never allow myself or her other sons wife to address her by her christian name - even though my brother in law and his wife spent the first 2yrs of their marriage living with my in-laws. 

On one occasion when my own mother suggested to her that they had known each other long enough to address each other by their christian names - it was met with  "I think when a married woman has a title - it should be used"   My mother was suitably chastised and never raised the subject again!!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline arishmell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 09:33 GMT (UK) »
In 1901, the following family is living at 54 Parr Street:

Arthur J Couch    35
Louisa Couch    34
Violet L Couch    10
Frederick Couch    7
Charlie Tuckett    3

All are born in Exeter, and Arthur is a railway engine driver.  Charlie Tuckett is a visitor.
Researching:
Waycott, Fewings, Piper, Burgoyne, Johns, Phillips, Paddon, Streat;
Morrish, Rowdon, Pike, Lowder, Flood, Parsons and others.
All in glorious Devon!

Offline arishmell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Thinking that the elderly Mrs Couch might be in some way related to the Arthur Couch in my previous post, I tracked him in previous censuses.  In 1871 he is living in Summerford Street, Exeter.  His parents are Arthur Manning Couch and Elizabeth Balsom, who married in Q3 1857.

Elizabeth Couch is shown as being born in Heavitree, Exeter c1831, which would fit with the Elizabeth Couch you found in 1901. 
Researching:
Waycott, Fewings, Piper, Burgoyne, Johns, Phillips, Paddon, Streat;
Morrish, Rowdon, Pike, Lowder, Flood, Parsons and others.
All in glorious Devon!

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes a housekeeper or cook would be given and "honorary" title of "Mrs", even if she wasn't married.  But that still doesn't explain the "With love" - maybe Mrs Couch wasn't well enough educated to know the correct greeting.  Alternatively a neighbour, perhaps, who was on good terms with the family, but formal enough not to be on first name terms.

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to everyone for your replies and suggestions.

Oh you did make me smile CaroleW ... you brought back for me long forgotten memories!  I remembered my maternal grandfather ALWAYS called my m/grandmother by her full title - Mrs Bloggs - I never once heard him call her by her forename or by any term of endearment.  Strange really because they had six children ...!  Thank you for unearthing that long last memory!

Talking recently to a cousin of mine she also remembered that her grandfather always called her grandmother by her full title - never called her Rose.

It was a totally different world back then.

Gillg - don't think they were neighbours as my great grandparents lived in Exeter St Thomas.

In the photograph of 'my' Mrs Couch she does have rings on her wedding finger - which suggests the 'Mrs' isn't an honorary title.

Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline Darwin

• RootsChat Senior
  • My mother
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure the address says Flora Cottages? I've done an address search in Parr Street for 1881 - 1911 census returns and Flora Cottages doesn't come up, although other cottages do eg Alma Cottages, which looks a bit like 'Flora'.

If you scan the back & front of the photo & post it in the photo dating board, they'll be able to give you a rough date for it, which might help.
Devon: Sloman & Parsons
Banffshire: McGregor & Ogg
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk