Author Topic: Searching for the right John Hall.  (Read 5012 times)

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for the right John Hall.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 06:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hallsearch, don't forget that the information on the marriage record came from John himself, whereas the death record is hearsay from other people's memories and knowledge. Who was the respondent on the death certificate? Children are often the respondents on their parents death certificates and a large amount of the information they give can be incorrect. I would be more likely to believe that his father was named Richard.

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline hallsearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Maddie and Jo.  Maddie.  John Halls are very difficult to track in a country where every district has halls all over the place (buildings) and every hall family has a John.  But not throwing in the towel just yet.  I think you make a good point Jo.  I thought about that myself.  I agree with you that the marriage certificate must be most reliable, and probably the census which recorded John Hall with his wife and children (which also said born in Derby.) 

More digging.

Thanks both of you.

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 December 14 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I don't know if this is of any consequence but there is a Joseph Hall on the 1891 in Loughborough. He was born c1861 in St Margaret's Leicester which was one of the parish's in the old town of Leicester itself. His wife is Hetty born c1863 in Branston Lincolnshire (spelt Branstone on census) & they have a son Edgar born c1885 in St Margaret's. The trouble is I can't find a marriage for Joseph & Hetty although I think I have picked up a possible birth record for son Edgar in 1884 reg Lincoln which covers Branston & neither can I find them after 1891 any where. :-\

Joseph is also being a pain before 1891 as I can't say for deffinate where he is or who his parents where. It is possible that although your John was born Derby his brother could have been born Leicester due to the proximity of the towns.

Clutching at straws here but I will keep trying. :)

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallsearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 18 December 14 15:45 GMT (UK) »
That is certainly interesting Maddie because the brother, Joseph in Loughborough was mentioned on the 1879 military record of John Hall so that could well be him in 1891 there.  Thank you for that.  I will take a look at it.  It is like these two have appeared from nowhere.  Thanks again.

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 18 December 14 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have to agree with you, they do seem to have just suddenly decided to be recorded on a census. :o

Presumably the next of kin to John would have been given on attestation & not added at a later date. :-\ I've also been trying to think of an alternate name for Hetty as there's no marriage, could it be a nickname. ???

I tried looking here, http://www.lincstothepast.com/ but I don't get on very well with the site, perhaps you might have better luck. :)

Branston is just outside of Lincoln & actually not all that far from where I live.

As they don't seem to be on the 1901 census, or I just haven't found them yet ;), maybe they emigrated & your John followed his brother out to OZ. ::) Who knows.

Maddie

Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk