Author Topic: Clarks of Mearns  (Read 2831 times)

Offline geneaglutton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clarks of Mearns
« on: Monday 06 May 13 02:22 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

My ancestor ADAM CLARK was born about 1790 in Maybole, Ayshire, the son of JOHN CLARK and ELIZABETH MILLAR.  He married JANET MANDERSON in 1815 in Neilston.  Their children were Susanna, Elizabeth, Janet, William, Isabella, Robert, Margaret and Adam.  The children were born in either Polloktown, Burnside, Gateside or Star and Garter, all in Mearns.  The Ordinance Survey Name Books say Polloktown and Gateside were collections of cottages.  There were two farms named Burnside in Mearns.  Adam was a tenant at Star and Garter farm in 1841 and 1851.

WILLIAM CLARK was born about 1809 in Mearns.  He was a farmer in Burnside in 1841, 1851 and 1871.  In 1861, he was at Naprocks Farm in Mearns.  He married ANN ALLISON about 1840 and had William, Jean, Janet, John, Ann and James Clark.  Jean Clark married a John Clark in 1865 in Burnside.  Does anyone know anything about this second Clark family?  It could be a coincidence that two different Clark families had a connection to the small farm of Burnside, but I'm hoping there is a tie that I can explore.

Thanks in advance.
Geneaglutton

Offline geneaglutton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Clarks of Mearns
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 19:45 BST (UK) »
Darn!  I answered my own question.  The William Clark I spoke of above was the son of William Clark and Janet Russell, so not my Adam Clark's brother.  I have the death record if anyone wants it.  I wish my ancestors had more distinctive names.

Aloha,
Geneaglutton

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 22:18 GMT (UK) »
I notice the reference to Manderson of Neilston in your Chat.  The parents of  my ancestor Margaret Robertson Anderson are occasionally listed as Manderson, so I wonder what information you have about Mandersons in Neilston.  Regards.  Sheena
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline geneaglutton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 March 14 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Dear sheenamac,

I apologize for not responding soon.  Health problems.

My MANDERSONs lived in Gorbals.  Robert Manderson and Susan Jack had at least 5 children:  Janet, Margaret, James, Robert and Susanna.  I've only been able to trace Janet, Margaret and Robert.  Margaret married Thomas Pollock and lived in Glasgow.   Robert married Mary Ritchie and lived in Barony, Glasgow and Dennistoun.  My ancestress, Janet Manderson, married Adam Clark/Clerk 9 Dec 1815 in Neilston.  Their 8 children were all born in Mearns.  The family had moved to Lanarkshire by the 1861 census.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Geneaglutton