Author Topic: re: Immigration record 1864  (Read 6130 times)

Offline mrs.bee.5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
re: Immigration record 1864
« on: Wednesday 14 August 13 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Please delete this if inappropriate.
Was wondering if someone could possibly do a lookup for a Thomas McWilliams, Mary McWilliams, Elizabeth, James and possibly Annie, their children.  They must have gone to America before heading onto Australia.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks..bee

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: re: Immigration record 1864
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 August 13 00:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Do you have any other information to help locate the family?
Dates of birth or dates you think they left Scotland? Also what relationship have these people to each other ? And do you know where they stayed?
Sorry for all the questions :) But any info you have will give Rootchatters something to work with.

I've just noticed the Immigration date of 1864 in the thread's title.You mention both America and Australia....where do you think the family went to in 1864?

Looby :)

Offline mrs.bee.5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 August 13 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Thank you for your quick reply, yes I didn't leave too much info. did I.
Thomas b. abt. 1821 , Ireland; Mary (BRENNAN) b. abt. 1826 Ireland m. 1846 Scotland, possible 3 children. Elizabeth, b. abt. 1846 Airdrie Lanark, James b. abt. 1849 Kilbirnie, Ayrshire; Annie b. abt. 1855 Scotland.  Arrived in Australia 1864 (?).   They were sponsors for Mary's brother James who came on the "Ida" in 1864.  Hope this is more to go on, as I don't have a world sub. for A'y ,  I only have a part sub. Thank you again for any help or info. you may find.   bee

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 August 13 22:32 BST (UK) »
Bee...not what you mention but just in case it helps you with further info. There are other Scottish born children that you don't mention:

Mary 1855 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQ9G-1X7
Thomas 1856 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQ9G-1X7
Unnamed (stillborn or died at birth?) 1858 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQ9G-1X7

Don't know what info you have on Thomas and wife Mary but an 1855 birth cert will give you lots of additional info that might be of help. The first year of official registration in Scotland, and BMDs ran over two pages of the the register for one year only. Lots of additional information included for that year only. For people with Irish origin, it should hopefully include where in Ireland the parents were from and details of their marriage for example.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 August 13 22:50 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to find the family on 1861 Census but so far - no joy.
That's not to say they aren't there. They could be and I've just not been able to locate them  :-\
Or maybe they've already left the country.
What makes you think Bee that the family had gone to America before going to Australia? It seems an odd thing to do. Not impossible...just unusual I would think  :-\

Looby :)

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 August 13 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi bee,

Really good advice from Monica  ;) to download the birth certs for Thomas McWilliams & Mary Brannen's post 1854 children, particularly Mary 1855 with all the added info.  The last (unnamed male) child from Monica’s link was born March 1858.   From NSW BDM online http://tinyurl.com/ldpwqe5 it can be seen that Elizabeth McWilliams, daughter of Thomas & Mary (she shows in the 1851 census) died in Newcastle NSW in 1860 (Registration Number 4924/1860).  If you can obtain that cert it will confirm (or not!) that she is the same girl which in turn will narrow down Thomas & Mary’s arrival in NSW to between ~April 1858 & 1860.

brigau

Offline mrs.bee.5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 August 13 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
Thank you for your much needed guidance, I will order the cert. online today, will let you know what I find out. Much appreciated and I think I should read about where one should start and things to do on the way with researching, any suggestions...bee

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 August 13 00:45 BST (UK) »
I’m now completely click giddy but this entry looks like the right family, erroneously recorded as Williamson aboard the ship Wellington, arriving NSW April 1859: http://tinyurl.com/l6wsxls

The A*y record has a bit more info – Thomas came from Dungannon, Co Tyrone, parents; James & Catherine; father dead, mother living in Scotland.  Mary was born Kirk (can’t read) Co Down, parents John & Ann, both dead. Children Elizabeth 13, James 10 & Ann 8 all born Airdrie, Lanark.  Will send it on.

Offline mrs.bee.5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 August 13 02:57 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
You've all come through again, will TRY to add more to this info. you all seem to know where to look, I just seem to go round and round to nowhere! ( Poor me ha! ha! I'm dizzy).  Will keep you posted if I need any more help.....thanks bee