Author Topic: Fergusons of Lairg/Clyne early 1800s  (Read 33857 times)

Offline Clarets

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fergusons of Lairg/Clyne early 1800s
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 08 November 08 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Jocelyn,

Missed a Great out of the first line of previous post. John and Ann were my great great grandparents. My great grandfather was their son also called John who was born in 1860 and was married to Mary Bond who was born in 1866 and had eight children including my grandfather Norman who was born in 1895. Hope that is a bit clearer.

Bernard

Offline JocelynJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 08 November 08 20:28 GMT (UK) »
hi John

I am very thrilled that we have at long last found relatives living on the otherside of the world ,I am the eldest of 5 girls ,my mother had 1 sister and 2 brothers my Aunt Robina had a daughter,  Uncle Bill had 3 son's and a daughter, Uncle Jack left the family after the first world war and was never heard of so what happen to him will always be a mystery.I would like to to have a photo of the house ,also I would like to be able to e-mail you. I am new to this game as well.

Jocelyn

Offline Clarets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 09 November 08 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Jocelyn

email is *email address removed to prevent spam and other abuse. Please use the secure PM system to exchange personal information.Bernard

Offline JocelynJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 10 November 08 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anwar,Thank you for adding your name to what has been a real puzzle not knowing if we had any relations in the UK or Scotland. I am sure you will be hearing a lot more from us here in New Zealand ,I have 5 cousins and 3 sisters one of my sisters died about 20years ago.

I will send you a e-mail with more details.

**Email address removed to prevent spam and other abuse. Please use the secure Personal Message system to exchange personal information. Thanks!Jocelyn

Offline ferguson1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

my name is James Ferguson and I live in Manchester, England.

I am sure we must be from the same family.

I was always told a story growing up that an ancester of mine was a gamekeeper for a Scottish laird and he had saved the Laird's son when he fell from his boat during a storm.

I may have this wrong, but I think the gamekeeper, or maybe a son of his, was given a ticket to England as a reward where they worked for the Egerton family at Heaton Hall in Manchester. Coincidentally I now live just a mile from the hall, which now lies within Manchester's biggest public park - Heaton Park.

There must be some link here with the name Egerton, which has also been mentioned here. I have the middle name Egerton, as does my father and my grandfather's brother (who died in the WW2). I believe the first born son of every generation has the name.

My grandfather, now 92, worked in the family business, which was a factory that waterproofed material in Failsworth, Manchester. The factory is still there and has a sign saying AOF, which I believe stands for Alfred Oswald Ferguson, though it is in an area marked for redevelopment and may not be around much longer.

I do not have precise knowledge of the family history and my memory of what I have been told is a bit hazy, but I hope that this is of interest to you.

All the best,

John James Egerton Ferguson

Offline JocelynJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 18 January 09 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi James
Your Grandfather is my mothers 1st cousin he must have been the youngest grandchild of John and Ann Ferguson ,my mother was named after Ann Ferguson  nee Mcleod she was the eldest child of Ann Isabella Ferguson. We were told that my mother had 2 uncles in Manchester but never found out where the lived . so it has been a great thrill to be able to catch up with some of our decsendants. I have attach a photo  of the ann ferguson's family  I hope you can open it, this is the first time that I have tried to do this.
All the best
Jocelyn Great Grandaughter of John and Ann Ferguson

Offline Shiny23

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 22 January 09 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the great information, it's been such a fabulous find.  The UK 1911 census that’s just been released finally allowed me to find out where my Great Grandfather was born and I've been overwhelmed by the information I've found in this post.

He was John Ferguson born 1860/61, Lairg, Sutherland, listed in MonicaLesi's post above.  My Granddad was Richard Bond Ferguson born 1904, his siblings - William 1901, Norman 1896, Annie 1894, Blanche 1891, Jessie, 1889. All born in/around Salford, Greater Manchester.

To Jocelyn – It looks like you’re describing my Great Grandfathers sister Annabella born Lairg Reay Cottage, Sutherland, abt 1863?

To Bernard– my Granddads brother Norman Ferguson – born Failsworth, Lancashire, abt 1896, moved to Canada sometime after WW2, the brother of my Granddad Richard Bond Ferguson?  He visited my Grandparents sometime in the ‘70s when they lived in the Isle of Man.  What do you know about the factories?

To John James Egerton Ferguson - I'd be really interested to know what your Grandfather remembers of the factory and any other Ferguson family members he can remember, is this the factory/warehouse in Cobden St, Salford?  My Grandmothers brother lived in Cobden Street and was an 'indian rubber worker' – Thomas Holland born abt. 1888.  The older Ferguson girls might have been working there - Jessie, Blanche and Annie - but I suspect he wouldn't remember them…  probably before his time.  I’d be also interested to know what you know of your family history.

If anyone has details of any of the people in this post I’d be very grateful to hear from you and share what I know.

Kind Regards
Bev

Offline JocelynJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 22 January 09 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everybody ,

I to would like to know about the factorys so I can pass the informatiom on to my cousin who's mother was the youngest child of Ann Isabella Ferguson.

Offline Glen Mathan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Another Hugh Ferguson  b. ca 1770 also lived in Urachyle or Urachoile, Strath Brora, Clyne.   His spouse was Janet Sutherland.  Three of his children,  Elspeth, 1795,  Alexander 1800 and Barbara, emigrated to Earltown, Nova Scotia in 1821.  Earltown was settled by approximately100 families from Clyne, Rogart and Dornoch.
Hugh had a brother George who was the miller at Kilpheddermore, Clyne.  George was married to Catherine Graham of Urachyle.   George died of cancer in 1817 after which his widow and five children emigrated to Earltown.

Glen in Nova Scotia