Author Topic: William Robinson d 1845 in Richmond  (Read 2489 times)

Offline Worlygigger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Robinson d 1845 in Richmond
« on: Wednesday 09 July 14 17:40 BST (UK) »
William Robinson, an ostler, is my 3 gt grandfather and he died in 1845 aged 68. He was not born in Richmond, Nth Yorks but appeared to have gravitated to the town in the late 1820s. I'm struggling to find a baptismal record for him - obviously, he could have been baptised anywhere in the county but I'm led to believe that he married his first wife Ann/Elizabeth Bell(?) in about 1827 in Yarm or possibly Kirklevington. He then married Isabella Hind in the 1830s which I know about. I now live in Suffolk so I cannot search baptismal records in Nth Yorks.

I was hoping that someone might be able to have a look for the marriage for me, and also check for any William Robinsons who might have been baptised in Yarm between 1775-1780.

Any assistance would be much appreciated (I'm also a local historian in Suffolk near Framlingham so reciprocal help is offered.)

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: William Robinson d 1845 in Richmond
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, Welcome to RootsChat.
Source: Cleveland Family History Society
William ROBINSON buried at St Mary, Richmond, 5th November 1845, aged 68.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Worlygigger,

I am just wondering why you think William married for the first time in about 1827. He would have been about 50 years old then.

Where did you get this information from please?
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Worlygigger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 21:45 BST (UK) »
The answer to that is I don't know. He might have been married on multiple occasions. I believe that the entry for his marr to Isabella stated 'widower'. If the previous marriage could be found, we might find the same designation indicating previous marital history. If I knew the place of baptism, it's possible, but not certain of course, that the first marriage would be found.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 22:08 BST (UK) »
Have you looked on familysearch ?

I found marriages for a William Robinson to a Ann Bell and Isabella Hind on there, both in leyland near Richmond.

(however as you probably know Ann Bell and William Robinson are common names so you will have difficulty in ensuring you have the right ones)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 July 14 09:50 BST (UK) »
If you look on the same 'batch' on Family search, where Davidft found the Ann and Isabella marriages -- there are the following marriages of a William Robinson in that same location also;

30 Nov 1790 to Catherine Wilkinson (this would be too early to be your William- he would be about 15)
19 May 1794 to Jane Foster
21 November 1829 to Elizabeth Hill

Baptism records for any children of William's would be really helpful.

If you see the actual parish records for 'Richmond near Leyburn' - they may give a clue to William's actual location OR his occupation. Any children born to William Robinson with that location/occupation would be clues - along with a burial record for his wives (whether there were 2 or more!)

I wonder if anyone has the Richmond records to do a look up for you? Alternatively you could order them via Family Search and view them at a nearby LDS centre if you have one close by.

Places of interest;

Offline Worlygigger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 July 14 22:01 BST (UK) »
I'll have a look at familysearch but I've found it to be quite unreliable in the past. There is no substitute for looking at parish registers, so I may have to drag myself up to Northallerton. Thank you all for the advice.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 July 14 14:13 BST (UK) »
If you order an actual film of parish registers -- to be viewed at an LDS centre --- it is a film of the registers, hence no errors.

It depends whether you have such a centre near you.

Not sure if you have done this -- but you can do it through 'catalog' on the site and input the place name. 'Catalog' is in the drop down menu under 'Search'.

My sincere apologies if you already know this.
Places of interest;